Kettle Corn?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LoveHuevos, Feb 13, 2012.

1. LoveHuevos

LoveHuevos Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2011
    Southern California
    I found this guy who sells kettle corn and he wanted to give me his leftover batches to feed my chickens - 14 and one rooster. He wasn't sure if they'd eat it, but they love it. He's given me 7 trash bags full of kettle corn this week. I give them a couple scoops every other day and they just gobble it up. Is it safe for them? Can I give them too much of it and make them sick?

Thanks.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If there is salt added to the corn you must be extremely careful.

Chickens can eat a little salt...it is mixed into feeds in very small quantities, but they can get too much and it can kill them.

Here is a link:

http://umaine.edu/livestock/poultry/nutrition-for-chickens/
    notice it is less than 1% salt

(The popcorn itself is fine as a treat.)

http://www.worldpoultry.net/diseases/salt-toxicity-d37.html
    salt toxicity symptoms discussed

If it is salted all is not lost...you can soak the popcorn in a big bowl for an hour or so, drain, rinse again. I have done this over and over with salty tortilla chips.

3. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Generally kettle corn has a thin, sugary coating on it(that's what's on the kettle corn you're getting, right?). Chickens really shouldn't have a lot of sugar, just like us. [​IMG] I would switch to feeding it about once a week or so.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Popped corn is more air than anything else. Even with the small amounts of sugar and salt it doesn't add up to much unless you are giving it to them by the gallon every day.

For that matter scoop up a gallon and weigh it. Not much there. You should be able to feed it safely enough if you don't go crazy with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by