Key West aka Gypsy Chickens Thread :)

Just trying to do my little bit since Key West is almost in my back yard..... maybe I should just stick to my Marans then...

Hello from the mainland, I'm in West central Florida. I hope you can get some key West chickens, especially since you're so close, that would be wonderful. I would just love to see them promoted and learn more about them. Good luck to you and happy Thanksgiving, neighbor.

I have two gypsies, and I would like to know what colors are more rare than others.

I have two gypsies, and I would like to know what colors are more rare than others.
I think solid colors are pretty rare. I was told that there are white Key West chickens that hang out in the graveyard area on Key West. I am thinking they may be able to hide from predators because they blended in among the gravestones being lighter colored so the whiter ones survived. I know some people are working on other colors.
I am working on Crele color and blue tones but I don't have any completely solid blues. The rescuer/breeder I got my original KW from had blue and a solid white one.

Someone asked if they get tamer with the new generations.... I would have to say yes. Now that we have had several generations the newer ones are much much tamer than the first feral ones we adopted. I still have my original Crele hen and even she has calmed down considerably. When I first got her, all I had to do was look at her and she wanted to take off lol. Now she will take food from my hand but I still can't touch her. I had to catch her once and she screamed like a banshee. I never heard a chicken scream like these things do when they are feral lol.

One of my newest generation KW hens is so friendly that she would live in my pocket if she could. She is sooo sweet. When you pick her up she just snuggles right into you and doesn't move lol. She resents it when you put her down.
Most of the newest generation are pretty friendly but not near as friendly as her. I let them free range on days that I am home and they go into their coop at night. They still would rather sleep in the trees if I let them and seem to have kept a lot of their wild/feral instincts. I could probably let them free range and they could find all their own food no problem but I spoil them. Their favorite treats are bread and black sunflower seeds.

Back
Top Bottom