Khaki Campbell duck with what looks like blocked vent (photos enclosed)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by quackerslorna, Jan 16, 2014.

1. quackerslorna

quackerslorna Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2013
    Hello BYC forum,

Can anyone help me out please.
    I have KC duck called Miss Erin of between 3 and 4 yrs old, she seems to have her vent/bottom area closed almost over.
    I bathed her in warm water tonight as I had noticed her earlier in week looking a bit dirty behind. She had runny motions for about a month possibly or more now, but was OK otherwise eating drinking etc.

I cleaned her up tonight, biggest worry is she does not seem to be able to pass droppings, I am worried about her. She seems to have black dead tissue, last year she had been a bit swollen behind and I had at that time but stuff on it to soften area, then she had stopped laying and things went down and she seemed OK.
    I noticed her dull a bit since Monday and not just right but still she is out and about. I am ringing Vet tomorrow although they are not really poultry/avain Vets etc and not really interested in ducks to see what they suggest.

Thanks for help.

Sorry photos did not turn out well, the area is black colour and hard

Lorna[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    My duck experience is zero, but you could her soak her bottom in some very warm epsom salts for 30 minutes, then take a lubricated and rubber gloved-finger and insert it into the vent. That might loosen things up. Do you think that she had a prolapsed vent before, and has lost some of the muscle tone?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  3. quackerslorna

quackerslorna Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2013
    Thanks eggcessive, I had Erin at Vets tonight and they were able to get her vent open a bit and released a build up of liquid foul smelling feceal matter I guess, she got antibiotic injection and also more to give her orally.

I bathed her earlier today in some warm water and epsom salts a little while and she seemed to enjoy that, she had passed some droppings twice today so that is something.

I live in Northern Ireland so that is why it is night here when I am writing this

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by