Khaki Campbell duckling with curled toes

sheebshelbs

Hatching
Mar 26, 2023
I have a roughly 3 week old Khaki Campbell duckling and both of its feet are curled. How do I make a splint for it? Or is it too late? The poor thing just scrambles around and I'm not sure its getting to the water in their brooder. I included photos of its feet. All of my ducklings get niacin (Brewer's Yeast) in their crumble, have access to fresh water, and get supervised swimming and outside time. One of the other ducklings I have, a Pekin, also had a curled foot but seems to be walking just fine now. This one has it worse.

uckling curled feet 2.jpg
duckling curled feet 3.jpg

Has the duckling been like this since hatch? Hopefully at 3 weeks old taping will still work to straighten them out sure worth trying.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...s-with-tape-picture-tutorial-and-video.75247/
Another way would be to take a plastic container like a cool whip container and cut into shape of the feet then cover with tape to cover sharp edges then place each foot on the shoe and use vet wrap to attach go up around the ankle to make sure the shoes stay on. Snug but be careful not to cut off circulation

Has the duckling been like this since hatch? Hopefully at 3 weeks old taping will still work to straighten them out sure worth trying.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...s-with-tape-picture-tutorial-and-video.75247/
Another way would be to take a plastic container like a cool whip container and cut into shape of the feet then cover with tape to cover sharp edges then place each foot on the shoe and use vet wrap to attach go up around the ankle to make sure the shoes stay on. Snug but be careful not to cut off circulation
I’m not entirely sure. I got them from Tractor Supply. The duckling was walking fine when I brought them home. I’ll try the plastic container splint - I worry that the masking tape would potentially rip the webbing on the ducklings feet. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom