Khaki Campbell ducklings

leslie harris

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 19, 2017
I have a mama and 5 ducklings that are 8 weeks old. I have them in a large pen next to a shed - I have a large pasture with a pond where i have 2 other khaki Campbell’s and 9 Peking. Do I need to wait till they are 12 weeks old to put them out with the other ducks? That is what I have done in the past with the Peking ducklings. But these are as large as their mama and I know she is ready to get back to the pond also. I don’t have a way to separate them in the pasture/ pond area from the others. But I’ve never had any injuries when I’ve released new ones before. Just want to make sure they are ok to be let out at 8 weeks.

Have the others been around these 8 week ducklings? If so probably fine and sounds like you have plenty of space for everyone to keep away from anyone who may want to bully. Only problem is if you have drakes that may go after young females.

Have the others been around these 8 week ducklings? If so probably fine and sounds like you have plenty of space for everyone to keep away from anyone who may want to bully. Only problem is if you have drakes that may go after young females.
i have 3 pekin drakes and one khaki campbell drake in the pond pasture, along with 10 females. the babies have never been over there around them. i don't have a way to separated ducks in pond pasture. i have them beside a shed up near the house now. I've always released the peking ducklings at 12 weeks and they have been fine (after a little pecking, etc...) just wasn't sure about the 8 week olds. but you can't tell the difference in them and their mom at this point. the pen is getting a little small for all of them and i know they would love to be down at the pond. but i also want them to be safe. but i know once i release them, i won't be able to capture and separate. it's a large pond in a 7 acre pasture. i'm hoping with the mamas help and the other siblings they will be ok. but will feel terrible if they aren't. just trying to do the best thing for them. but hard to know what that is....

If you have that many Drakes I'd definitely be concerned about them trying to mate the young Hens or attacking any young Drakes..
ok- ill wait a few more weeks- maybe they will be better able to defend themselves. i wish i had a way to keep them separate at the pond pasture. but i don't. With the Pekings i've always released them at 12 weeks and they have been fine. this is my first experience with khaki campbell ducklings. i guess i will stick with the plan i did before. thanks.

Back
Top Bottom