Khaki Campbell has never laid eggs - help?

EllWildone

Hatching
Jun 8, 2023
Hi - I have a 3 year old female Khaki Campbell that has laid (maybe 10 eggs) her whole life so far. Shes a happy duck, nothing i can tell is off. But everything i read tells me she should be laying a whole lot more than 10 eggs per 3 years. Another duck, a muscovy had a duckling that is half indian runner - she too NEVER lays an egg. She is nearly 2 years old and has laid 2 eggs that i know of. They arent hiding them and nothing is picking them off. What is going on? The muscovy lays the most - when shes not broody which is almost always. Please help.

Hi - I have a 3 year old female Khaki Campbell that has laid (maybe 10 eggs) her whole life so far. Shes a happy duck, nothing i can tell is off. But everything i read tells me she should be laying a whole lot more than 10 eggs per 3 years. Another duck, a muscovy had a duckling that is half indian runner - she too NEVER lays an egg. She is nearly 2 years old and has laid 2 eggs that i know of. They arent hiding them and nothing is picking them off. What is going on? The muscovy lays the most - when shes not broody which is almost always. Please help.
What is their diet ? Do you provide oyster shells on the side for calcium
They should be laying more then that in 3 years
My girls are 1 year - 2 years
I get an egg a day
They started about 4.5 -7 months
A few waited till after winter to
start
Everyone was laying in January and hasn’t missed a day since
Other then one broody girl on day 21 of her nest
Mine are pekin, pekin x khaki and Swedish
You could try changing their diet and see if it helps

I get an egg a day
start
What is your latitude?

The Runner x Muscovy mix isn’t going to lay many eggs. She is a hybrid. They are often called “mule ducks” because like a mule (horse donkey cross), they are usually sterile.
As for your Khaki, she might be an exception. When I started with ducks I had three Khaki females. One, who I still have at 8 yrs old, was/is a champion layer just like the literature says. One, was pretty good but died young being eggbound. The third rarely ever layed an egg 🥚 if at all and passed last year. Each is different.

The Runner x Muscovy mix isn’t going to lay many eggs. She is a hybrid. They are often called “mule ducks” because like a mule (horse donkey cross), they are usually sterile.
As for your Khaki, she might be an exception. When I started with ducks I had three Khaki females. One, who I still have at 8 yrs old, was/is a champion layer just like the literature says. One, was pretty good but died young being eggbound. The third rarely ever layed an egg 🥚 if at all and passed last year. Each is different.
Thank you - This makes a lot of sense. x

I get an egg a day
start

I get an egg a day
start
Yes, one would think a fair few more eggs would have happened in that time. I'll need to reassess a few things by the looks of it. Thank you x

Back
Top Bottom