1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

khaki Campbell heartbreaking hatch.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by itsbob, Aug 31, 2013.

1. itsbob

itsbob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    Bought 12 eggs Metzers shipped 13 12 showed fertile when candling .. 10 eggs made it to the last 3 days. on day 30 (put in incu ator on 1 Aug) so far this has been a heartbreaking hatch. 5 already lost during the hatch/ partially hatched.

One is in the brooder 4 more partially hatched still attached to their shells in the incubator. No signs of life on day 28 (as in no pipped eggs) and had a hell of a time getting the humidity up.

I'm hoping to end up with 5 but not hopeful that those still in the incubator are going to make it.

I'm using the 9200 incubator, no egg turner, no fan.. had to physically turn the eggs 3 - 5 times a day. Candled about once a week.

I love the idea of hatching eggs but not the idea of over 50% losses..

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Sorry you've had a hard time. I don't do incubation, so I have no help to offer :(

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    What temperature were you running the incubator at and where in the incubator were you measuring the temp from?

With no fan there can be a few degrees difference in different areas - such as higher to lower- and in the corners. If the temp was too low it can take a few extra days for them to hatch. It could also explain the losses - but there are a few other causes late in development as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by