Khaki Campbell Laying Frequency

akf93

Songster
Jun 22, 2022
NE Indiana
Hi there! I’m trying to decide what is the norm for egg laying in Khaki Campbells.

Background:
Duck A: has been laying since mid August this year and hasn’t missed a single day of laying.
Duck B: started laying in mid October and laid daily for about 3 weeks before getting taken by a predator.
Duck C: started laying late October and only lays about 2-3 times a week.

I was pumped about Duck A (and B!) and wanted to increase my duck flock by a few come spring but Duck C has me concerned that Duck A is a rare find. I don’t want more if I can’t expect them to lay more than 2-3 times a week.

Thoughts? From what I’ve read, I thought Duck A was more the norm. But then I read reasons duck eggs aren’t more popular commercially and low frequency in laying was one of the main issues. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
KCs are arguably considered the top laying breed for ducks, and rival the top chicken breeds for amount per year. That being said, you will always have individual discrepancies, whether it be ducks or chickens.

I think the reason chicken eggs are more available is conditioning (us, not the chickens) and the fact that ducks are much different in their needs and can't be kept in battery cages (chickens shouldn't either, but ducks would be a disaster in them).

Sorry abut the loss of your duck. :(

Hi there! I’m trying to decide what is the norm for egg laying in Khaki Campbells.

Background:
Duck A: has been laying since mid August this year and hasn’t missed a single day of laying.
Duck B: started laying in mid October and laid daily for about 3 weeks before getting taken by a predator.
Duck C: started laying late October and only lays about 2-3 times a week.

I was pumped about Duck A (and B!) and wanted to increase my duck flock by a few come spring but Duck C has me concerned that Duck A is a rare find. I don’t want more if I can’t expect them to lay more than 2-3 times a week.

Thoughts? From what I’ve read, I thought Duck A was more the norm. But then I read reasons duck eggs aren’t more popular commercially and low frequency in laying was one of the main issues. 🤷‍♀️
I have one khaki lady and she is very consistent. Very rarely do I go collect eggs and not have one from her.

Her first couple years she even laid consistently through winter.

Even my pekin will lay almost everyday, except for when she goes broody, which has been happening more and more 🙄

I have 2 welshie ladies that are about 7 months old, expected to start laying mid October, sounds about the same age as yours. Only 1 of them has started laying, but she does it everyday. Haven’t gotten an egg from the other, I assume she’ll start in the spring. Which may be the case for your Duck C, spring may come and she may lay more consistently. Give her time, she’s still a new layer.

I have one khaki lady and she is very consistent. Very rarely do I go collect eggs and not have one from her.

Her first couple years she even laid consistently through winter.

Even my pekin will lay almost everyday, except for when she goes broody, which has been happening more and more 🙄

I have 2 welshie ladies that are about 7 months old, expected to start laying mid October, sounds about the same age as yours. Only 1 of them has started laying, but she does it everyday. Haven’t gotten an egg from the other, I assume she’ll start in the spring. Which may be the case for your Duck C, spring may come and she may lay more consistently. Give her time, she’s still a new layer.
I was wondering the same thing may 2 kahki campbell girls are 32 weeks nd sateting laying at 20 weeks and my one girl quakaleaha is very consistent everyday my other girl pencileaha lays about 5 days a week ,but the last 2 days quakaleaha hasn't laid and pencileaha we had an issue were she was egg bound Tuesday 😢 and my hubby and I had to help massage the egg put of her ,by putting her in the warm bath and lubricating her vent area while slowly massaging it down and out ,so she hasn't laid either ,so no eggs wedensday and this morning ..so I'm wondering Is it normal to skip days? It's their first lay cycle,im new to being a duck mom so idk I do lots of reading n watching videos ..

Yes they do take breaks from laying. It's very normal for them to skip days, just make sure they have oyster shell set out in a separate bowl from their feed so they can use it as needed.
Yes they do take breaks from laying. It's very normal for them to skip days, just make sure they have oyster shell set out in a separate bowl from their feed so they can use it as needed.
Ok good I was just making sure it's normal , and yes they have a separate dish of pulverized eggs shells next their food dish ,I actually got that idea from doing research way back when my girls hit the 20 week mark and were about to start laying ..I read ALOT ,I especially like tryant farms articles !!! Do u know of a good maintaner feed that's 13 -14% protein 🤔 they are on 16% now but I don't want them laying everyday all year ,I don't want my girls to get health related issues from constant laying ,getting egg bound, my one girl was egg bound Tuesday for the first time and i was so scared 😱 😨 but me n my hubby took care of her and she's all better now :) their health is more important to me then eggs 🥚 💖 they are very special to us n my 7 year old has such a special bond with the one !! Yeah but I read that maintainer feed with a dish off the shells on the side will help with their health and not have them laying daily and that was a recommendation by an avian vet .

Right off hand, I don't you'll have to check with your feed store and see what they carry. But I don't think you can stop them from laying that is what they were made to do. So it's best just to give them at least 16% protein in their diet and make sure they are getting good quality calcium. So they lay good strong eggshells. Give the eggs away if you don't want them but they are great for baking. Your ducks were created to be egg laying machines and really all you can do is take care of them. meet their needs with good quality feed. Make sure they get exercise which helps keep their muscles strong for egg laying. If you lower the protein below 16% you may have other problems
crop up.

You can also feed the eggs and shells back to your girls
@BelovedBirds does this for her two girls
Things can be wonky at first when starting
My pekin was born in April of 2021 she started to lay end of august 2021 that girl laid an egg every day but the 30 days whine she sat on some eggs dec 2021-Jan 2022 she only took one more week off and started again until end of October of 2022
It’s common to have them lay through winter the first year
She is back laying again and has been since Jan 2023 so only took 2 months off
My Xmas of 2021 babies started to lay in April of 2022 and 2 of the 3 have not stopped minus a day here and there but not often the 3rd girl took a 2 month break
My youngest 6 ducks only one started before winter hit and she has laid everyday the other 5 started in January when my onset girls started
I have 11 ducks
Pekin 1
Pekin x khaki 7
Swedish 3
All 11 girls are laying eggs at this time
I wouldn’t try to stop it unless she is constantly egg bound and having major issues. At that time a vet would be needed
Laying is part of their body and something they need to do
@Miss Lydia gave good advice on calcium

Back
Top Bottom