Khaki Campbell with a hard time walking?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aoxa, Mar 10, 2012.

1. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I have a little duck (around 2 months old) that has a hard time walking/balancing. Her legs are not noticeably deformed. She does not have bumble foot.. She will walk really weird for a few steps and lay down. Her hatch mate did the same for a week, and is completely fine. Martha doesn't have all of her wing feathers yet.. Could that be why she can't balance properly? My fiance is starting to worry, and I'm not sure what to do. [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It maybe as simple as giving them extra Niacin, chicken feed doesn't have enough in it that ducklings need so either get brewers yeast and sprinkle some over top of their feed or buy Nician tablets and dissolve in their water, i don't know the dose though because i used Brewers yeast. Hope someone else can help you with the dose. And HI sorry your duckling is having problems..
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ies-in-goslings-ducklings-growth-leg-problems

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  3. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    She's a pretty girl!

Sorry, no advice though :(

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Thank you :)

She seems uncomfortable when walking, and her legs are further apart than I'd like. I've just switched them from starter to grower. I still haven't had the chance to get any supplements yet. Hope she comes around. Bertha walked weird at first, but now walks perfectly normal. :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by