Khaki Campbell

Mine is very pretty and very smart. She doesn't like to be caught or held but will sit quietly if you give her peas.

I have a cattle dog too. She's being a pain in the ***** around the ducklings.

We just got ours yesterday, they are 2 weeks old and so incredibly sweet! I obviously have no real advice to give other than they sure are cute!
big_smile.png

I have 3 khaki Campbell ducklings. They are 4 weeks old. They are definitely cute! I wish they wouldn't mind me picking them up, but they prefer not to be handled. I have 10 chickens who absolutely LOVE to be handled. They are 10 weeks old and race for me whenever I open the coop (they are going on their 2nd week in the coop). I have to wrangle the ducks up to go outside for playtime and exploring, but they love it when they are outside. They don't like it when I wander off leaving them in the enclosed coop run. When they are outside, it seems to be the only time that they think that I am worth much. They still don't like to be touched, but they don't like me out of their sight either. I think they may slowly be coming around to letting me pet them ONCE I have them, but it takes a little bit to get a hold of them. I am persistent because the woman who I talked to about the ducklings said that I needed to handle them as much as possible due to having children. I'm not quite sure my kids are going to be able to get their hands on this little brood, because they are quick! And my kids lose interest in animals that don't want loving like my two big dogs! The ducklings do have VERY sharp nails! Be AWARE! I do have a question for anyone who has made it through this...when can I put my little BIG mess makers in the coop? I am currently socializing them with my 8 hens and 2 roosters (New Hampshires) and they seem to be doing a whole lot better. The first time I put them together, one rooster would run toward the ducklings and the ducks ran away. That is as far as it went. Now, they roam around each other, they watch one another, but they don't really care to socialize. There doesn't seem to be a problem. I've brought the ducklings into the coop with the chickens, and the ducks stayed on one side while the chickens stayed on the other side. Another concern is the temperatures in the wacky Michigan "springtime!" It is currently mid 50's to low 60's during the day, but has been getting down to 32 degrees F at night. My chickens are fully feathered and doing great. My ducks are fully feathered on their breast and belly and around their shoulders, and they are starting to get them on their backs and faces. The reason I am being a little pushy to my little darlings is because they are escaping their indoor pen in my basement and making a M-E-S-S of monsterous proportions!!! 'Nuff said...How can such adorable little (getting very big) things be such big mess-makers?!? Oh, one thing I forgot to mention, they absolutely love to swim. Swim in their drinking water, bath water, or any water for that matter. Who ever said that these ducks didn't need water to swim in didn't think about their happiness! Get a wading pool for these little babies!

My babies are coming in the next couple of days. I feel like an expectant parent!

Haha! That's so cute! I know just how you feel! I have some redstar chicks coming and still have my 3 runners, who are growing rapidly as the days go by, to take care of! I just love the feeling though! Stirs something inside of you!

Thanks for the replies. I have a few Pekins but this is my first Khaki Campbell. It's about a week old now. I'm keeping it separate to try and get the bond. We'll see. I'd like to let this one free range the property. I hear you about the ACD! Anyone with this breed knows they can be a pain chasing any object that moves!

I have had at least 1 around since I was little, love them. decent layers, and very hardy.

Back
Top Bottom