Khaki Campbells / 3 ganging up on 1

happylilfarm16

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2016
Gettysburg, PA
*** Advice Needed ***

I have a question that I'm hoping someone can help me with. We have 4 khaki Campbell ducks born in April 2016. They are 7 months old.

They are all 4 male and 3 of the 4 are all ganging up on the 4th. It's so bad he now has bald spots on the back of his neck.

1. Why are they doing this?
2. How do I get them to stop?
3. Is it possible that the 3 will kill the other?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

It sounds like they might be trying to restablish their pecking order.
I would separate the injured male while he recovers.
It is possible for them to kill him but it usually doesn't end up going that far.

Can I separate him and keep him by himself? For the first few months we had them, the ducks were with my chickens. Can I put him back with them?
Not at 7 months old he will most likely want to try and mate with your hens. And that is usually a death sentence for a chicken hen. Why not separate him with one of the other drakes and see how they do in 2's but stress of being continually picked on can cause him to become sick and possibly die. So yes separate him. Get a product called Blue Kote {TSC} it can be put on poultry to disguise wounds etc and it may keep the one you put in with him from picking. You may have to rotate till you find one that will just be buds and not want to hurt him.

@happylilfarm16

Last edited:
Thank you. We will try this. I took a half day at my job today so I can figure out something to separate them. I'll stop at TSC on my way home. I think there is 1 duck less aggressive. I'll put the 2 of them together.

Sometimes females will have the curly feather. Not commonly, but it can happen.

Also, you can tell the gender by the quack. Females have the classic loud quack, males have a quite whispery quack. Youtube has some clips showing the difference.

Do you have any females nearby? Male ducks don't usually fight unless they're establishing the pecking order, or they can see/hear hens. If they were in with the chickens first, it's possible they view chickens as their potential mates.

We brought them all home at the same time .. 6 chickens and 4 ducks. I was supposed to have 6 hands but have 5 and a rooster. The ducks were all to be male... but I have no eggs so figured they got that right.. I will get video and picture of them when I get home.

Back
Top Bottom