Khaki campell X

ErinFitz

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 22, 2013
Sydney
Trying to work out what my babies are crossed with, I got them from a farm who just said Khaki Campell cross. The white ring has thrown me hah.

Also would anyone be able to have a guess at what sex they are? I know it's hard to tell but maybe from the markings?

I have 3 chooks and was wondering does anyone have any experiance introducing ducklings to chickens? Iv never owned ducks only chooks! Preferably I would like them to all share a coop, my chickens are 100% free range from 5am until they put them selves away at night they're very good girls :) so the ducks and chooks would only share the coop as sleeping quarters not an all day pen.

Thanks guys for any answers you can give :)

Last edited:
That white ring is perplexing! Is it Abacot Rangers that have that? My KC Drake, when he was very little (like less than 2wks) had a little tiny white spot on his neck. That disappeared after his molt. Your ducks are very pretty, and aside from that white ring, I think they look a lot like my KC x Rouen.

I can't answer your question about the cross and surely someone will give you some good advice about cooping them with chickens. I don't have chickens but lots and lots of folks advise against keeping together, especially when they are fully grown and especially if the ducks are males.

So,
welcome-byc.gif

I had heard chickens and ducks were just fine together, so I put the first ducks I got into the chicken house. It was a disaster. They made such an instant horrific mess of the chicken waterer that we had to completely scrape out the bedding and reapply. Ducks were quickly moved to the goat pen. Disaster there, because goats ate duck grain. Finally separated ducks into one goat pen and I lost use of that pen for the winter. When spring comes, we will build a duck house next to the pond - totally separate from every one else.

We had a couple of supposedly purebred Khaki Campbells, and one of them has a big white spot on her neck. So I'm no help, but did want to post to say your babies are adorable.

I have 3 ducks and 4 chickens in one hutch (they free range in my garden during the day.) I had the ducks for a good 6-8months before the chickens arrived, but they seem to get on fine. I use woodshavings as bedding, as they soak up the duck poop really well, and then use it as mulch on the garden! :)

2 of my ducks are Khaki Campbell x, one has a bit of a band on her neck.

Unfortunately my two darling babies got attacked and killed by a Goanna today while playing in their paddling pool I'm completely distraught, the only good thing is my chickens managed to all make enough noise for me to notice and save them before it got them too.

:hit

Back
Top Bottom