Khakie Campbells setting...Nov 13...REALLY???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Flowerhen, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Flowerhen

Flowerhen New Egg

Nov 13, 2013
    HI there, I have recently purchased Khaki Campbell Ducks. This past spring, actually. I have read in many places online that Khaki Campbells will not go broody. I have a female duck sitting on about 15 eggs. She has been on them for 2 weeks. I am worried because it is getting really cold. Down to 15 last night. Do you suppose she can keep them warm once they hatch? They have their own stall in the goat barn and she has plenty of bedding which she has made into a big nest that looks somewhat like a small volcano. LOL. She is so cute sitting in there all cozy. Do you suppose I might have to bring them inside the house after they hatch? Or should I let her care for them?? Why would a duck try to hatch eggs this time of year?

2. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Just to upset you, LOL...

No, but really, it sounds like you have a setup where she could probably raise them herself. Where are you located? Silly duck.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  3. Flowerhen

Flowerhen New Egg

Nov 13, 2013
    LMAO !! hahahha..That was great !! Thanks for the laugh. Yes, I believe she might be okay with them in her cozy stall. We live in Maine, and of course our winters do get pretty harsh, although we should have baby ducks by November 28th according to the incubation period for ducks. She started setting either Oct31 or Nov 1st.

4. Avlana

Avlana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Personally, if she manages to hatch them, I'd bring them inside and place them in a brooder. She may not be able to keep them all warm, especially with temps in the teens. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by