Kholmogory geese

I just found out about these beautiful birds myself. I was just looking at the Metzer Farms site, enjoying their videos, and found a link to a site of an Austrian dude named Robert Hoeck, who is a poultry lover and has made tons of videos about exotic chickens and waterfowl. I learned that Polish chickens are called Paduaner in Austria. In his 20 most beautiful waterfowl video he shows the Kholmogory geese...the ones he showed looked a little more slender than these and some were gray, but they had that big dewlap. As a whole I don't like Chinese geese because they can be very aggressive (not only to humans but to other birds as well), but these certainly are beautiful.

I've seen White Africans at a sale in KS that look very similar to these. Not quite as deep of a keel but just as large as these appear to be. No idea who brings them, but there is usually one or two pairs there every year.

Hey Gray Farms, I'm curious about what was the name of the Kansas Sale you seen the White Africans in every fall?
Were they good type white Africans?
I'd like to go to it and buy them or talk to the breeder.
Thanks

Hey Gray Farms, I'm curious about what was the name of the Kansas Sale you seen the White Africans in every fall?
Were they good type white Africans?
I'd like to go to it and buy them or talk to the breeder.
Thanks

Heart of America Game Breeders Association, Gardner Kansas Auction, https://hoagbagardnerauction.org/

They are some of the best I've ever seen. There is a pair nearly every fall at the auction. I've never inquired who's they were, but they've got some good stock.

I first heard of kholmogory geese on Robert Hoeck's site. He is an Austrian poultry breeder and his videos can be seen on You-tube. I love watching them. Some are in English. In his videos he discusses and shows footage of the breeds themselves, often going to other breeders for breeds he doesn't raise himself. Mostly chickens, but also other species. I found out about the kholmogory goose on his video of the world's most beautiful domesticated waterfowl - well worth watching, no narration in this particular one so language won't be an issue. Unfortunately I think this breed is quite rare, and the fact that it is Russian would make breeding stock almost impossible to come by in the US, I think. Obviously it has swan goose (Chinese or African) bloodlines, doesn't look exactly like pictures I've seen of super Africans but close. I'd love to have some.

An interesting read:

http://www.fao.org/3/ah759e/AH759E23.htm
"It was formed in the Central Black-Earth zone of the Russian Federation by crossing local white geese with Chinese; it is suggested that Tula Game geese were used in the crossing. Long-term pure breeding, improved feeding and management have resulted in the national breed. The breeding work is carried out by the Ail-Union Poultry Breeding Research Institute.

The breed was widely spread over Kursk, Belgorod, Voronezh, Moscow, Vladimir, Arkhangel and other regions.

In 1974 there were 19 680 geese of this breed. Their number decreased slightly, to 18 500, by 1980. At present the population is still declining slowly. They are generally used on non-specialized poultry farms and private plots.

The Kholmogory goose's body is massive (long, deep and broad) and horizontal. The head is elongated with a knob on the forehead; the breast is broad and bulging; the beak is straight, long and orange-red in colour; the neck is long, slightly curved and with a purse. The knob on the forehead appears at the age of 6 or 7 months. There is a fold on the abdomen. The wings are strong, well developed, close to the body. The legs are of medium length and strong; the shanks and feet are red or orange. The plumage is grey, white or pied.

The live weight of adult males is high, 7-8 kg, and that of females is 5.5-6.0 kg. Under optimal conditions the live weight of males reaches 9-10 kg and that of females 7 kg. By 60 days of age goslings reach the rather high live weight of 3.0-3.5 kg, the feed consumption being 3.8-4.0 kg per kg of gain. Egg production is 25-30 eggs weighing 170-180 g each. Fertility and hatchability are 80 and 50% respectively.

Kholmogory geese are very hardy and have a calm disposition; they quickly acclimatize to local conditions. Meat qualities are good. The crossbred progeny of Kholmogory males and Chinese White females produced 69% of edible parts. It is feasible to raise Kholmogory geese on private plots.

The reduction in numbers of these geese and their removal from commercial farms are due to the introduction of more productive breeds. Kholmogory geese have a low egg production and hatchability; the resulting crop is only 12-13 goslings per layer."

Back
Top Bottom