Kicked my rooster and now he is limping and being pecked at by the hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jadavis73, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Jadavis73

Jadavis73 New Egg

Nov 18, 2013
    I kicked my rooster day before yesterday and he is limping. He can grip and move his leg, he just hops. He is tender up towards his thigh area. His legs still change color, when he gets aggravated. But, he isn't crowing and the hens are pecking at his comb to the point that it is bloody. He has been separated from the hens, but I am more concerned that maybe I broke something. I didn't kick hard and it was with the side of my foot. He only went about 3-4 feet. Any suggestions for treatments? I don't know if it matters but he is a Wyandotte.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He needs to be in a cage in the coop or run to rest the leg and keep him safe. Some vitamins in his water would be good. Splinting can be done if you later think it is a break. Someone on here recently made a padded splint from finger splints from the drug store. They are bendable to shape to the leg, then wrap with vet wrap.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You shanked a punt with the football eh?
    I agree with Eggcessive. Put him in a cage and provide him feed and water. Keeping him in a cage limits his movement as not to aggravate the injury making it worse, giving the injury time to heal. You can purchase vitamin B complex at a pharmacy, crush a few tablets into powder and sprinkle it on his feed to eat. The vitamin B complex may help him heal quicker. Do this for about 5 days and release him to see if there's improvement. If not, recage him and repeat the vitamin B complex treatment for another 5 days, then release him again and see if there's improvement. If there's no improvement, stop the vitamin B complex. It will then become a quality of life issue and you have to make a decision whether to continue keeping him caged or cull. These types of injuries take time to heal; sometimes a week, several weeks, a few months or never.
    I've had very good success treating hens in this manner, roosters are a different story...not so good. Good luck.

4. Jadavis73

Jadavis73 New Egg

Nov 18, 2013
    Quick update. The rooster is fine. My wife put him in our bathtub to give him a break from the hens. Unfortunately she didn't close the bathroom door (which leads right into our bedroom). Long story, short, the rooster was well enough to get out of the bathtub, out of the bathroom and onto our bed. Oh yeah, and then proceeded to s*&t all over my side of the bed... for a minute, fresh grilled chicken breast was sounding like a fantastic idea. I calmed down and the rooster lives...for now. [​IMG]

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Lol, you got your payback didn't you! [​IMG]

6. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    [​IMG]I would say so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by