Kicking Chicken

And here is a pic of her good eye.

Attachments

• goodeye.jpg
    goodeye.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1
She does not appear to have lice. I will post some pics of her I took this morning. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I will check her behind very closely this afternoon.
That’s good. Sometimes lice can also make them susceptible to other diseases by weakening their immune system.
Horse Girl, here are the pics you requested.
And here is a pic of her good eye.
She definitely has something going on there. I see on your other thread you’re getting some great advice from DobieLover. You might be able to get more people to help you if you start a thread in the Emergencies forum.

The one thing I can say is that it doesn’t look like she has bumblefoot. Her foot doesn’t look abnormally puffy, and there’s no scab on the bottom.

Here left eye has amazingly cleared up! It's wide open and looks great now. Weird! I think your idea of me posting in the Emergency Forum is excellent. I can post this video to show how she walks. The hen in it looks just like her and is the same age. I wish the poster could see my posts about my girl and respond as to her outcome with her girl here.

Here left eye has amazingly cleared up! It's wide open and looks great now.
Wow, that’s amazing! Did you do anything to it?
Weird! I think your idea of me posting in the Emergency Forum is excellent. I can post this video to show how she walks. The hen in it looks just like her and is the same age. I wish the poster could see my posts about my girl and respond as to her outcome with her girl here.
Unfortunately quite often we never hear how chickens ended up. Most people come here for a few days and then disappear.

No, Horse Lady, I did not do anything to her eye. From a distance it looked better than it actually does. She has it open, but not all the way, but it's a big improvement over last night. Also, I just went out to check, and she's up on the roost right next to her buddy, Goldie, so that is a good sign. She's still kicking those legs backwards, though. The other girls all look robust and happy. She ate well this afternoon, and I got her to drink a little electrolyte water for hens. Tomorrow I'll try oregano powder in her water. It is a wonderful drink for chickens. I didn't see anyone peck on her today, and she stayed close to the other hens. I now wonder whether it's some sort of neurological thing causing her to kick her legs backwards. I will watch the eye closely. Not entirely certain she's out of the woods with it yet.

No, Horse Lady, I did not do anything to her eye. From a distance it looked better than it actually does. She has it open, but not all the way, but it's a big improvement over last night. Also, I just went out to check, and she's up on the roost right next to her buddy, Goldie, so that is a good sign. She's still kicking those legs backwards, though. The other girls all look robust and happy. She ate well this afternoon, and I got her to drink a little electrolyte water for hens. Tomorrow I'll try oregano powder in her water. It is a wonderful drink for chickens. I didn't see anyone peck on her today, and she stayed close to the other hens. I now wonder whether it's some sort of neurological thing causing her to kick her legs backwards. I will watch the eye closely. Not entirely certain she's out of the woods with it yet.
I’ve been also wondering if it’s neurological. My girl seems to be doing a little better today, and can take a few steps without kicking, but she’s still stumbling quite a bit. I did see her scratch her head though, something she couldn’t quite get her balance enough to do earlier.

Maybe she did get pecked or poked in the eye, and it’s clearing up on its own. It may not be related to the kicking thing at all. I hope it continues to get better.

I planted a lot of prickly pear cacti around their run last summer, to ward off raccoons. I wondered whether she might have stepped on the thorns, but the other chickens don't have a problem with them, so I wouldn't think that could have caused the kicking-- and it's not likely she would have gotten a thorn in each foot, and I don't see any sign of a thorn on the bottom of her feet?

I planted a lot of prickly pear cacti around their run last summer, to ward off raccoons. I wondered whether she might have stepped on the thorns, but the other chickens don't have a problem with them, so I wouldn't think that could have caused the kicking-- and it's not likely she would have gotten a thorn in each foot, and I don't see any sign of a thorn on the bottom of her feet?
I don't think that's likely. She'd be limping around then, not kicking. How is she doing today?

I put saline solution in her eye today. It is looking better. Wondering whether to use the terramycin or not.

Back
Top Bottom