Kicking Myself

Being complacent and procrastinating always comes back to bite you, like a hawk. That's what happened Tuesday, when we lost June, 6 month-old sister of April and May, to a hawk.

Four months ago, I built an 8x8 pen, 4 feet high (not thought out, should have been higher), from straight trees, which I stripped of bark, and covered all around in HC. I framed out a small door. It looks pretty neat, certainly old-fashioned, rustic. The problem was, I put off putting a proper cover on it, instead laying 8-foot poles (straight trees from the property) about 10 inches apart on top. I didn't think a hawk would ever fit through that space, nor did I think it possible that a hawk would willingly jump into an enclosed "cage." Well, by now its probably obvious what happened. And with no incidents for the last 4 months (there was a close call with a coyote while they were foraging, the very reason I built the pen), I deceived myself into thinking all was well. I am blessed to work from home, so I can keep a close eye on the birds.

Anyway, I went out Tuesday afternoon and knew immediately something was wrong. No hens in sight. Long story short, I found June dead behind the coop. The hawk lifted her (my biggest English Orp) straight up and out. The other 2 (I only have 3) were hiding. Somehow they flew up and out. They were pretty shocked.

Since then (2 nights) the other 2 have started sleeping on the floor of the coop. Tonight I went out and lifted them on to the roost, and they did stay. They seemed much better today than yesterday, each laying an egg this morning, but still didn't voluntarily roost.

I also want to get another hen. I have the opportunity to get a 4-month old Black Australorp. Any thoughts on this?

The worst part is the fact that this just seems like a very unfortunate waste of a really nice chicken, which should have been averted. At least I fixed the problem yesterday, covering the run with wire.
So very sorry for your loss! I went through a nearly similar newbie screw up and thought I lost my beautiful Light Brahma, Lady, I had left a very narrow & protected corner of their expanded run uncovered and then a week ago the metal roofing panel I had shading that side got knocked down during some work. I didn't put it back up right away, feeling safe, but a hawk at least tried to attack her! She must have fought free, but went into extreme hiding and I didn't see that she miraculously survived till the next morning. I fixed it immediately and am endlessly thankful I still have her docile and protective spirit.

I have read that Australorps are excellent in a mixed flock and had hoped to get one for their heat tolerance, but they weren't delivered. Introducing her to your mature "flock" will take some time and care. Orpingtons, though, may have some issues, I don't know.

So very sorry for your loss! I went through a nearly similar newbie screw up and thought I lost my beautiful Light Brahma, Lady, I had left a very narrow & protected corner of their expanded run uncovered and then a week ago the metal roofing panel I had shading that side got knocked down during some work. I didn't put it back up right away, feeling safe, but a hawk at least tried to attack her! She must have fought free, but went into extreme hiding and I didn't see that she miraculously survived till the next morning. I fixed it immediately and am endlessly thankful I still have her docile and protective spirit.

I have read that Australorps are excellent in a mixed flock and had hoped to get one for their heat tolerance, but they weren't delivered. Introducing her to your mature "flock" will take some time and care. Orpingtons, though, may have some issues, I don't know.
I'm glad it was just a close call for you.

Yes, my Australorp has been a challenge to integrate. Although I am seeing progress. The two hens really aren't overly aggressive. They will give short chase when foraging, and pay her no mind when in the run.

The new pullet, however, is still very skittish. But she is pretty indifferent to the other two. This is particularly evident when they are free around the yard. She just takes her own dustbath, and forages by herself. But she still keeps a safe distance.

2 of my 5 hens starting using the nesting boxes to sleep when they started their molt. They wanted nothing to do with the roost time drama. (Rosie marches back and forth on roost daring any chicken to jump up and then proceed to rush like a line backer, head down and knocking down anything in her path. The other molters stayed on the roost. I was curious about the nest sleeping, but i have 4 nests for 5 hens and they are super safe. IMO, they can sleep whereever their little hearts desire. I have to remind myself, they are safe and I'm no chicken, so let them be. Poop in the nest box in the AM is a simple added 30 second chore that I dont mind. Good Luck! This post was from a couple weeks ago, did you get that other chicken you were mentioning?

Back
Top Bottom