Kicking Myself

Adolph Otto

Songster
May 2, 2022
SE Massachusetts
Being complacent and procrastinating always comes back to bite you, like a hawk. That's what happened Tuesday, when we lost June, 6 month-old sister of April and May, to a hawk.

Four months ago, I built an 8x8 pen, 4 feet high (not thought out, should have been higher), from straight trees, which I stripped of bark, and covered all around in HC. I framed out a small door. It looks pretty neat, certainly old-fashioned, rustic. The problem was, I put off putting a proper cover on it, instead laying 8-foot poles (straight trees from the property) about 10 inches apart on top. I didn't think a hawk would ever fit through that space, nor did I think it possible that a hawk would willingly jump into an enclosed "cage." Well, by now its probably obvious what happened. And with no incidents for the last 4 months (there was a close call with a coyote while they were foraging, the very reason I built the pen), I deceived myself into thinking all was well. I am blessed to work from home, so I can keep a close eye on the birds.

Anyway, I went out Tuesday afternoon and knew immediately something was wrong. No hens in sight. Long story short, I found June dead behind the coop. The hawk lifted her (my biggest English Orp) straight up and out. The other 2 (I only have 3) were hiding. Somehow they flew up and out. They were pretty shocked.

Since then (2 nights) the other 2 have started sleeping on the floor of the coop. Tonight I went out and lifted them on to the roost, and they did stay. They seemed much better today than yesterday, each laying an egg this morning, but still didn't voluntarily roost.

I also want to get another hen. I have the opportunity to get a 4-month old Black Australorp. Any thoughts on this?

The worst part is the fact that this just seems like a very unfortunate waste of a really nice chicken, which should have been averted. At least I fixed the problem yesterday, covering the run with wire.

I am very sorry about your hen. :hugs How old are your existing hens??
Thank you. They are 7 months. They just started laying. I got all 3 in May. They are really friendly, so I think they would accept a new hen. Thing is, I'd like to see them at least roosting at night again before I get another.

That's awful. I know that it hurts worse because you know you could have prevented it. But I agree with @lv9777, loss can be a teachable moment. You have fixed the problem and now you will do better going forward. I personally would let my girls recover from the shock before adding another hen. But as chicken math goes....the more the merrier! ❤️

Thanks, all! I see a big improvement today. They stayed on the roost last night after I placed them. I think they're starting to molt. Is this about when that occurs? Could that be a reason for the roost aversion?
So sorry for your loss. Yes, predators are smarter than they look. I have a fox living on my property just itching to get a chicken dinner. I had one hen taken, dropped and survived for a year after her attack, only to die recently from other causes. It took my flock quite a while, a month to recover from that attack. I wouldn't beat yourself up. We can't keep our animals in a bubble either. They need fresh air and freedom for a quality of life. We do our best and learn as we go. You may want to consider getting a dog that is good with animals. I have a sheltie. Some breeds are definitely better bred for such a job. Now, I keep her outside in my enclosed garden area every time I have my hens out. So far, no hawk or fox attacks. I however, no longer let them free range in the open. Too many close calls. Enjoy your birds :)

Thanks, all! I see a big improvement today. They stayed on the roost last night after I placed them. I think they're starting to molt. Is this about when that occurs? Could that be a reason for the roost aversion?
Yes. My hens are molting big time at present. That makes the birds wonky and they stop laying. Plus, decrease daylight. Give it time and they'll settle back into a routine.

Back
Top Bottom