Red Tailed Hawk on tree branch 10 feet from chicken run...

chickeyumass

Chirping
Jun 15, 2023
Large hawk landed on a tree branch, 5 feet off ground, very close to chicken run and my girls ran like crazy into coop. Hawk flew away almost immediately when it saw me. Poor girls were super spooked! One sang an "egg song" for a while afterwards.

There was no way for the hawk to get into the covered run, but now I wonder if it will hang around waiting for an opportunity. Should I not let the girls out into the yard for a while? I have also seen this hawk on a neighbor's roof while walking my dog. Crows were circling it and it flew away. Clearly hanging around.

A month ago I caught a coyote on my camera. Was not expecting to attract this much attention in my little suburban lot in southern New England!

Thoughts on the hawk threat?

Predators come for the mice and rats and come back for the chickens. So first check to make sure you don't have any rodents hanging around.
I have only seen chipmunks on occasion. No droppings in my shed, or on patio. I just turned my entire compost bin over when I moved its location and so no signs there either. How do I find out? My neighbor has several bird feeders set up about 100 feet from my coop area.

We had red tailed hawks nearby, like right on our electric pole. Never bothered the chicks or chickens. This spring, one red tailed hawk dipped down and picked up a chick from my lawn. I scared it off, but the chick died. Another flew into the greenhouse as the roosters liked to perch in there. I scared that one off also. They never came back. The one you scared off might not be back.

You just don't know if they would see chickens as prey. Your neighbor is attracting small birds which the hawk may be hunting. This teaches him that birds are fair game.

I have only seen chipmunks on occasion. No droppings in my shed, or on patio. I just turned my entire compost bin over when I moved its location and so no signs there either. How do I find out? My neighbor has several bird feeders set up about 100 feet from my coop area.
Sounds like you are in good shape on the rodents other than the chipmunks. They might be the draw for the hawk.

There was no way for the hawk to get into the covered run, but now I wonder if it will hang around waiting for an opportunity.
It might, but will soon learn that it's 'no chicken dinner for it'.
No, I would not let them range for now.
I've had dozens of hawk flybys and strikes on the run, they give up pretty soon.

I am going to construct a daytime, portable aviary out of an old 8’ pop up shelter frame. Not ground predator proof but for chickens to have temporary time outside on the grass. Pics to follow when completed.

I am going to construct a daytime, portable aviary out of an old 8’ pop up shelter frame. Not ground predator proof but for chickens to have temporary time outside on the grass. Pics to follow when completed.

Attachments

• IMG_9025.jpeg
    IMG_9025.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_9004.jpeg
    IMG_9004.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
Looks good.

I would suggest making sure that if the hawk does slam into the netting, that he cannot tear it free from where it’s attached to the frame. Tossing a soccer ball or something at the mesh would probably simulate the impact.

Slamming into the mesh is not something they tend to do repeatedly, but if they slip through the first time they hit it could be a disaster :)

Back
Top Bottom