Kickstarter Project: Trading in tractors for horses

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Serina81, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Serina81

Serina81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Lucerne Valley, CA
    Hi guys, I've been on this forum for years now and I was wondering if any of you would be interested in giving me feedback on my Kickstarter project for my farm.

We have pastures and hay fields that we use tractors to take care of and we want to exchange the tractors for horses and horse-powered equipment. We will be able to raise more livestock for meat as well as for selling as babies to others. Currently we raise two heritage breeds: Dorking chickens, Cotton Patch Geese, Bourbon Red Turkeys and Ancona Ducks (as well as navajo churro sheep and a few other heritage livestock breeds). My hope is that if we can raise enough profitably for meat that we can also expand our breeding program to produce much nicer birds closer to standard.

Anyhow, I'll stop rambling. Here's the link if anyone wants to give feedback!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flipflopranch/1761078536?token=4264732d

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Sounds like a great idea.

3. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Sounds great! Is kickstarter any good? I was thinking of using it to get my book published when it's done, but I'm still not sure.

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Some years ago I met a woman that used belgians to handle all the farm work. THey produced enough to feed all the horses. Lots of acres, just a few horses. She kept a nice stallion for breeding. A REALLY nice stallion. In VT using horses is popular.

Have you considered non- tilling, non mechanical harvesting methods? A fellow in VT raises hogs on pasture, some forty sows, and includes goats, chickens and ducks. THe chicken eggs are used to up the protein levels for the piglets until they go onto pasture. He also developed connections to get whey regularly and some brewer grain by prducts. He feeds no commercial grains at all. HE plants apple trees, and seeds the pastures every year with a great variety of grass and vegies, like turnips and mangels.

What I'm trying to say is that he put together a model that is self sustaining, for the most part. The animals do all the harvesting.

Around the world oxen are also used to till and harvest. Sturbridge VIllage in Mass has a pair that they have been raising up . . .

Start slow. And good luck.

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    PS. FInd the good lines for utility traits, have you read the Farming and HEritage thread??? Not all show birds are good layers like they are supposed to be, nor have many been kept up on the meat area.

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I know quite a few people fund small projects on kickstarted. You may want to talk to boyd though. He an his dad are both self published writers.

7. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by