Kiddie Pools - Does size matter - I think it does

Quote:
These are the same as what I was calling stock tanks, and I agree. Once you know what you want and where, I would go stock tank all the way (or even better an actual pond). But stock tanks cost around 3-5 times as much as a kiddie pool vs their size. They are worth it if you are going to keep them, but if you are experimenting and figuring out how much pool and where, or just saving up for that super solution, I think the kiddie pools bridge the gap and get your ducks swimming today. This is who I initially wrote this for. My plans are for a 20 x 30' pond about 4' deep at the drain, but that will take some planning and saving and won't happen until after I build my super duck house. (Now they have a 8x6' plastic shed with drilled in air holes and an automatic door). So the pond is a way off. They have a stock tank and they will get plenty of kiddie pools in the meantime.

Last edited:
Cool, I did the kiddie pool, didn't like how hard to dump they are, boards a hole in it and stuck a cork in it. Worked , held me over till I got the trough

Cool, I did the kiddie pool, didn't like how hard to dump they are, boards a hole in it and stuck a cork in it. Worked , held me over till I got the trough

Exactly why I found 3' is better than 6' for the kiddie pools. The stock tanks are tough enough to flip when they have 800-1000 lbs of water and they are easy to plumb. 3' kiddie pools you can flip with 100 lbs of water (by the time the ducks are done with it) then set it down 10 feet from where you started so you don't end up with dead grass circles, can't flip 800 lbs in a 6' without damaging it. The goal for most is something better than a kiddie pool. (Somewhere between 50 gal stock tank and Ducks Unlimited wetland development project.
bow.gif
) But most start with one.
wink.png

Now they have a 8x6' plastic shed with drilled in air holes and an automatic door
Are they in there at night and ranging during the day? That's the eventual plan for mine (although there may be times they need to be penned during the day depending on circumstances). I will have 4 ducks in an 8 x 3 enclosure--do you think it's enough room?

Also, I would love to hear about how you rigged that automatic door!

Thx for all the pool advice btw. Very helpful!!

Yup they pile in at night (all the ducks but two are automatic two linger - they will learn) I went with Ador for the door because it works as is but when we build the super house we will be able to set up other options. I get 13 ducks in an 8x6. when I build the new one it will be 8x10 plus a seperate food and water section and a seperate brooder room. For now, brooding, eating and drinking are done outside. As a reference, when they go in and stand around they can fit in 1/4 of the floor space comfortably. This is ok for sleeping, but I wouldnt keep them in there for any length of time during the day unless they go in on their own. But anything is better than a raccoon's tummy.

Back
Top Bottom