Kidney Stones

geoaware

Songster
12 Years
Dec 3, 2007
Southern Maine
So while I seem now to be through the process....I had my first experience of kidney stones a week ago. I was traveling for work and had to go to hospital in New Hampshire (the service I will say was great).

But let me tell you...i have NEVER felt pain like it. Just horrid. And yet I have never been so happy to have a little stone in a jar in my hand (and I am a geologist!)

I think I just don't drink enough water. I am certainly not the water guzzler everyone around me is. I have a real problem with the 'bottled water' craze....I think its sham! But I need to get more TAP water into me.

So this is just a post to say to those who have had kidney stones...i feel your pain, and for those who haven't had them (yet), I hope you NEVER do.

Cheers....G

I have never had a full sized stone, but often get the flakes or gravel as it's called. I love the feeling of those little razor blades tumbling down through my system. I get them when I don't drink enough liquid. I have taken to drinking decaf iced tea to get more fluids into me. I just don't like water enough to get the quantity needed. Any decaf/ non-alcoholic liquid will do to prevent stones. They say cranberry juice is good too. Sorry you had to go through that.

OH MY GOSH!!! I like to think of myself as tough, but holy cow those things hurt! I seriously thought I had burst my appendix or something.

You have all my sympathies. Drinking water helps. Drugs ending in "cet" really help too.
big_smile.png

OMG, I hope you are feeling better. You had better get over here and get on the good stuff!!
I drink copious nescafe blend 44 coffee. I hope I get enough hydration from that!!
I dont get dehydrated so maybe the coffee isnt so bad.
Dear Im sorry to hear about your pain.
Have you had a chance to analyse your stone at work?!!!

Limit milk, pop, hard water intake.

frow.gif
"Rolling Stones" veteran of many, many calculi!

Had my first with my 2nd pregnancy, had to go and get one with my 3rd pregnancy, passed several over the years and finally had to have another removed after a car wreck and have a stint put in.

This will leave you writhing on the floor with no shame about your posturing...its the only place that you can be, as you cannot stand up properly when a big one is in full blown movement down the ureters.

BTW, to all you men who think its as bad as childbirth...it isn't! That's a common myth put out there to make fellows feel like they have an equally painful experience in their repertiore!
lol.png
Having had both experiences....I'd choose a mind-tearing, floor-writhing kidney stone any day!
smile.png

Yup They had me on the bathroom floor writhing in pain so intense I thought I was going to pass out.

I ended up being diagnosed with them the same day the obg confirmed my pregnancy. This was after I had done the drink the nasty stuff and pee out your butt for 24 hours and then get injected with dye so that they can track where the bugger(s) is/are.
I had to make the drive from North Central MA to Boston for the testing part. Not fun. And because there were multiple stones and I was getting pretty blocked due to them, I had to then see a urologist. Who offered surgery OR baby. I choose no risk to baby and suffered through the pain of passing the stones one by one.

I still do not drink enough water. But I always have cranberry juice in the house. Gallons of it. Keeps everything some what moving and takes care of the corresponding UTI's. Not fun at all. But I am really not a water drinker.

Quote:
I've talked to and read about other women who said they'd rather have a baby.

Anyway, I used to pass (thank God w/o the operation) a kidney stone every year for several years in a row. The doctor told me to drink cranberry juice; then studies showed that cranberry juice causes kidney stones. We were too lazy to make coffee until some friends bought us a Mr. Coffee machine. I began drinking lots of coffee more than thirty years ago, and I haven't had a kidney stone since. The doctor said that that's because the coffee keeps my kidneys flushed out so that no stone can form because of my drinking so much milk.

Interesting kidney stones.....pain is awful I believe...however I always once a week do a kidney & bladder flush.....take two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water six times a day and flush the system....you may "wee" a lot but boy does it make you feel good the day after.....however ONLY do ths once a week! try it and see...

I have had kidney stones for about 13 years now and I know exactly what you have went through! I am a weird case. I always have multiple kidney stones in each kidney, most are not big enough to cause horrible pain, but still very uncomfortable. Most times I have 3-4 in one kidney and 2-3 in the other, never less than 2 in each. I can always tell when something is going on, I can start to feel an achiness in my back ion the side of which ever kidney is passing one through! I am kind of used to it now, but the big ones HURT! OUCH! It took the doctors years to try to help me..I was on pain killers for 2 years because they didn't know what else to do..nothing worked. Every time the doctors would try remove them or get rid of them, they just come right back! I have tried everything from more water intake, less tea and cheeses...they like me I guess!!

So I live on...me and my stones...lol.

Believe me..I am so sorry you had to go through this!!

Hope you are feeling better!
hugs.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom