kids chasing chickens....question about it.

Mamaof10hens

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
Southeast PA - near DE border
We have loved every second since we have had our chickens. Not a bad comment about the whole experience! ANyway, my 2 kids (just 4 and just 6 years old) ALWAYS want to hold or at least try to pick up the chickens. Some are easier to catch then others so the chickens end up being chased a lot.
Is this harmful or stressing to them (the chickens) at all?

when my little one tries pulling that, she gets a sharp reminder to NEVER chase any animal. I tell all of my kids and their friends that its never ok to scare an animal and if it doesnt want to be held, leave it alone.

Yes, it would stress a chicken to be chased. There are other ways to get the chickens to come to you rather than chase them; treats for example.

Geez, my girls are probably majorly stressed out - I have to chase them around the run before I can catch them. I do this about once a week to look them over and make sure they don't have any critters or medical issues.

My 4 yr. old daughter and 2 yr. old son sometimes has to chase them to catch one. The 4 yr. old usually can grab one first time while they are pecking at food but the baby, he has to run after them.
smile.png
Once caught they usually don't mind being loved on. They even sit on the couch and watch Milo & Otis with the kids. They won't run away but you do have to catch them first. I don't think mine are stressed from it and if they are it doesn't hurt them any, IMO. They are still happy chickens and they get over it fast.
wink.png

Now, if they were just chasing them around to be chasing them and kicking on them and all then I might stop them from that but I sure don't see a problem with running one down to catch it and love on it.
smile.png
JMO

My son is 8 and is very good about handling the chicks/chickens gently once they're caught but I noticed, since he has a hard time catching them in the first place, that they were getting stressed and panicky about it. So the rule now is that he can hold one when ever I'm around to first pick it up. That way there's no bad experiences on either side and my chickens are growing up friendly and relaxed about being caught and held.

Back
Top Bottom