Kids: Innocent Fun or Chicken Torturers?

We only allow the kids to hold their chicken on their laps in the coop or in the house. Our kids were taught to respect all animals. They are allowed to give treats as well. No neighborhood kids in the coop without me present.

This is going to stress your birds out, and they could be hurt. I don't allow kids visiting my place to harass the poultry. Instead, I have them help me feed and water, collect the eggs, and how to hold birds properly. This can be a learning experience, and I have found that kids of any age, and even special needs chicldren can learn proper animal husbandry.

Simple, plain chicken torture. Sorry
sad.png

Quote:
I don't agree with the kids treating the chickens like that simply because it is wrong. They are teasing the birds and risking an injury to them, they could become stressed which is never good. For those reasons they should be made to stop.

However, I must take umbrage with the rationale being applied to humans in the above quote. They are chickens, we are humans. Apples and oranges.

Quote:
I don't agree with the kids treating the chickens like that simply because it is wrong. They are teasing the birds and risking an injury to them, they could become stressed which is never good. For those reasons they should be made to stop.

However, I must take umbrage with the rationale being applied to humans in the above quote. They are chickens, we are humans. Apples and oranges.

x2
And the kids may not know better, no one has asked how old they were. If they are old enough and been taught to be nice, or have been told to stop and yet continue it would be different. My daughter who is 6 was caught doing this the other day. She knows to be nice to animals, but she also does not realize chickens don't fly like other birds. When I had my conure and she was being to clingy, irritating I'd give her a little toss back towards the cage (she could fly). She simply didn't know better, she has been told and will be in trouble if caught doing it again, but she was not torturing my chickens by any means. And I am more at fault than her, kids and animals shouldn't be left alone unsupervised, period. For the best interests of both.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom