Kiki's found horse eggs—experiment Round 2

Pics
He would so try it! Thanks!!

I found it! It was in just the third box I unpacked.

Clean the dressed carcass under running hot water. Quarter it and soak it over night in a solution of saltwater and 1/4 c ACV.

Bring to a boil on the stove and then remove from heat and discard the water. Repeat.

Transfer to a Crock-Pot. Add 1 quarered yellow onion and 2 quartered bell peppers and 2 bay leaves. Also add 1 can of Dr. Pepper. Cook until it will easily come off of the bone.

Debone the carcass and shred the meat. Skim the fat off of the cooking liquid and discard. Remove all cooking liquid except for 1/2 cup. Remove bay leaves. Add meat back to Crock-Pot.

Add 1 finely chopped purple onion, 1 finely chopped bell pepper and one finely chopped jalapeno.

Add 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce, 1/4 c ACV, 1/4 c brown sugar, 1TBS yellow mustard, 1 TBS Chili powder, 2 TBS minced garlic, 1 tsp thyme, 1TBS worchestershire sauce. Cook until veggies are soft and meat is permeated by the sauce.

*Edit - forgot the Worcestershire sauce... Also forgot to mention that this is for a coon that yeilds approx 5 lbs. of shredded meat. Adjust for quantities as needed.

Last edited:
@Ursuline Chick How are your eggs doing? :pop
So far, so good. I don't know that I will be candling again until after hatch date, it makes me scared that I may be messing with them too much and mess something up. :lau
Of course, I could always change my mind because the wait and not knowing may make me nervous also. :lau Sometimes you just have to take life day by day, so I reserve the right to change my mind everyday. :gig

Last edited:
GOOD DAY EVERYONE!! Hope all is well...i posted this on my other feed but going to throw it in here real quick if it's ok...the I'll leave you alone lol.my eggs are peeping now but there are no pips should I be worried,my girls lay very thick shelled eggs?
Please keep us posted here, I would like to know how it goes if that is okay with everyone else! Good Luck! Sorry I have no answers for you. :hugs

@Flockandfowl46 Your eggs may peep for up to 24 hours before you see the first exernal pip. Peeping means they have pierced the air cell. They will spend their time practicing their breathing, absorbing the oxygen from the air cell, absorbing yolk and blood in the membrane and resting up for the hatch. They have a lot of work to do, so be patient. @Sally Sunshine posted an excellent article about this process. When the O2 level decreases and the CO2 level increases in the chick's blood, this causes stress which alters her movement patterns from a reciprocal to a simultaneous movement pattern. This gives her the leg thrust she needs to push out of the egg.

As for candling eggs during incubation: I must candle at lease one egg every day during the incubation process. Can't not do it!

Back
Top Bottom