Kiki's found horse eggs—experiment Round 2

Oh my...so the 3 in the coop have mixed up eggs..all different stages?
This is going to be fun!
There are four hens mixing eggs....the three in one corner and the one by herself.
It is funny watching one steal an egg. She will go to the nest area when a hen gets up to eat, exercise et cetera. She quickly surveys the eggs, makes her selection and pulls it out of the nest and tucks it under her feathers. She then shuffles back to her nest scooting the egg along with her feathered feet.

Why is your avatar so sad? .... Why the long face?
Here is the whole picture
upload_2018-4-5_11-9-20.jpeg

such a cutie patutie

There are four hens mixing eggs....the three in one corner and the one by herself.
It is funny watching one steal an egg. She will go to the nest area when a hen gets up to eat, exercise et cetera. She quickly surveys the eggs, makes her selection and pulls it out of the nest and tucks it under her feathers. She then shuffles back to her nest scooting the egg along with her feathered feet.
And here I was picturing something more along the lines of the “game hungry hungry hippos” :gig

Mine do that too! and they get loud!

I have a large batch in lockdown due to begin hatching tonight.
There were 4 Cochin babies to hatch in their outdoor pen just before this last rain. I snatched them up and put them with the last incubator hatch.
Here is why: Three Cochin hens are brooding together on the floor in one corner of the coop. They had mixed their clutches stealing back and forth. Another hen decided to brood in the opposite corner. She was stealing some of their eggs too. No way to determine the developmental stages so I let them do their thing knowing I would have to pull a hen and put her with the hatching chicks until each broody has a clutch to raise.
The nice characteristic about Cochins is they will take adoptions easily if you give them to her as her babies are hatching.
I actually had a Cochin/Wyandotte that hatched 5 but raised 25.
Nice!
You know BYCs unnofficial standing rule yes?

Back
Top Bottom