Kiki's found horse eggs—experiment Round 2

Best of luck with that keet @Redhead Rae Hope you find it

@KikisGirls I have a lot to do tonight, but I will try to post a write up tonight when we build the bator. Otherwise Ill do it tomorrow.
Have you started?
Can we get an update?

:lau

I once lost a little green turtle in my bedroom when I was a kid. We had forced hot air. After completely cleaning my room, and searching the house, I figured it had fallen into the air vent and got dehydrated. 6 months later, I was watering one of my plants. One of the bubbles from the water in the soil winked at me. It was my long lost turtle who had crawled into the soil and took a long winter's nap. Also lost a hampster. He disappeared without a trace. I found him about a week later in the reservoir of the dehumidifier in the basement. Thankfully, the reservoir was dry.

Have you started?
Can we get an update?

:lau
Madre,
I am awaiting my father's return.

The waiting game has only just begun.

The only update to give is that I have candled the eggs again and nothing has changed. The cracked is still almost certainly not viable. The clear egg is just chilling.

Should I wash the eggs with warm water before setting? They are fairly dirty from lying in the run.

Lost a little lizzard in the house. We knew what room he last ran into and blocked the crack under the door. Next we set a trap. Turned off all the lights and closed the curtains. Set up a heat lamp in the middle of the room and lay in wait. Sure enough it crawled out of hiding and cozied up under the lamp and we snatched it up.

Madre,
I am awaiting my father's return.

The waiting game has only just begun.

The only update to give is that I have candled the eggs again and nothing has changed. The cracked is still almost certainly not viable. The clear egg is just chilling.

Should I wash the eggs with warm water before setting? They are fairly dirty from lying in the run.
I vote no on the washing.

I caught a blue spotted salamander in my yard a while back. About last fall or so.
We had him in this plastic container with water and a lid. Somehow, the thing got out overnight. We searched the house inch for inch and left water out for it. There was nowhere for it to go, but it was gone. We still have not found it.

I have read that spraying with a 3-5% hydrogen peroxide is supposed to improve incubation hatch rates. I wouldn't wash eggs, though - the ones I've got in the incubator now arrived really dirty, and they still are. Don't want to mess with their... whatever... natural protective coating. The one that went bad... whew. I hope I never have THAT happen again. At least I caught it fast - it was only incubating four days. Everything else seems fine, regardless of grime.

I kind of wish my cracked egg were showing any signs of having life in it, just to see if it hatched! My pecked egg hatched - Wren, my little Silkied Serama. Maybe that's what happened. Her egg got pecked, and it scared all her feathers.

Washing egg does not hurt them. If they are from your flock I would only wash them if they were very poopy.

Shipped eggs might benefit from a cleaning with a weak bleach solution or peroxide. Disease can be spread from dirty eggs

Back
Top Bottom