Kiki's found horse eggs—experiment Round 2

I've been doing a quick scan trying to catch up......

NOOOOOOOoooooooooooo :hit

Okay, that's out of my system I've hatched two incubator's worth of chicks in my Brinsea mini eco. Keeping the humidity steady in it is no easy trick. I usually keep it around 40ish until lock down. If I'm lucky I can get it in the 30s but it is just not as easy as it sounds. At lock down I spike it up to 70%. I've had 100% hatches both times.

I'm interested in knowing what happened. We all learn from things like this, as sad as it is.

Nah, just wishing you success! ^.^

Nope. No idea what the Bator Man's ETA is.
I think if i had good healthy eggs I would not be here right now.
I'd be watching chick tv.

I don't mind playing around with these found eggs...to learn.
Just when I think I might know enough to hatch some real eggs I think of something else.

The local quail eggs that I have talked about....I don't know this person from Adam.
I am now thinking that he may not be the best person to get eggs from just because I don't know him.

I've been doing a quick scan trying to catch up......

NOOOOOOOoooooooooooo :hit

Okay, that's out of my system I've hatched two incubator's worth of chicks in my Brinsea mini eco. Keeping the humidity steady in it is no easy trick. I usually keep it around 40ish until lock down. If I'm lucky I can get it in the 30s but it is just not as easy as it sounds. At lock down I spike it up to 70%. I've had 100% hatches both times.

I'm interested in knowing what happened. We all learn from things like this, as sad as it is.
I honestly believe the parent stock is/was not so well.
Bloody egg was bloody for a reason and as @debid mentioned earlier they may be new layers as well as not the healthiest eating birds.

effie-b-660.jpg

I'm inclined to agree with you.

My flock of Buff O and Welsummers were the original birds to show up with Marek's disease on me. I've never had good hatch rates with them. Set 8 eggs under a hen and 4 would hatch. They were of good weight and appeared healthy but it is what's inside that counts.

My barnyard bantam crosses are robust and local bred so they have been exposed to everything you can think of. Trust me, when Amish have a bird die, they don't do necropsies. They just toss em in a ditch and go in for dinner. I have a suspicion that not one of them knows how many birds they have on their farms at any given time. I've lost a few birds, three I think out of a flock of 35-ish while I've lost 17 or 18 BO and Wellies.

Genetics and condition will make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom