Kiki's found horse eggs—experiment Round 2

That comparison pic was my little assisted call duckling. When I left for work this morning, he was still alive. But he's in trouble. I worked his head free last night, and there's a lot of yolk to be absorbed. And he has some bill deformity. So I don't expect him to make it till I get home. But maybe...
View attachment 1381825

FYI for anyone interested or wondering what went wrong.... These eggs were covered by a broody duck hen for a couple of weeks, then she decided to abandon them. I left them outside in very highly fluctuating temperatures (near-freezing to upper 60's) for 2 days before bringing them inside. I wasn't going to incubate them, I was going to toss them. But I couldn't after candling and seeing some were still alive.
But this is the danger with such fluctuations.... deformities.... :(
Is that a scissored bill?

DH and I read them together last night when he got home, we both LOAO. Wish there had been more. It was great fun to read. Thanks.
I kept trying to scroll down more...looking/wanting to see more too! lol

My new chicks are starting to feather out rather nicely, for 1 1/2 weeks old. The one I thought was a lavender, I think will end up being a splash, which I am happy about. At least 2 I think are cockerels. 1 has lots of copper on his wing feathers, a wide stance and rather large comb for his age. Another has a small amount of copper on the wing feathers and large for his age comb. I guess we will see in the weeks to come. It's really exciting to see how fast they are growing and that all 10 seem to be doing very well. Will try to get some pics this weekend and post. :cool:

My new chicks are starting to feather out rather nicely, for 1 1/2 weeks old. The one I thought was a lavender, I think will end up being a splash, which I am happy about. At least 2 I think are cockerels. 1 has lots of copper on his wing feathers, a wide stance and rather large comb for his age. Another has a small amount of copper on the wing feathers and large for his age comb. I guess we will see in the weeks to come. It's really exciting to see how fast they are growing and that all 10 seem to be doing very well. Will try to get some pics this weekend and post. :cool:
Yes please we love pics! I need to take more too. My littles are two weeks old now. And man, they are zippy little creatures! My few hens are LF Cochin and speckled Sussex. These legbar babies are crazy fast in comparison.

My internet has been out for days and my phone service spotty, so I just got fully caught up.

My main reaction is :hit

You put so much care and effort into these eggs, and you came so close to hatching! Hatching can be a very humbling experience, and its hard to know what exactly causes chicks to not hatch at the end. I wonder about genetics and inbreeding. My beautiful rooster has something wrong with his genetics that cause most of the eggs hatched from his daughters (I try not to think about chicken family relationships too hard, lol) to either not hatch, or be born with some weird birth defect. I've since stopped trying with those eggs.

I'm off to start my own high risk hatch experience, as I just put 15 shipped eggs in the incubator. I'm seeing evidence of old eggs (large air sacs) and detached air sacs. I'm hoping for a few to hatch, but not feeling terribly optimistic right now.

My internet has been out for days and my phone service spotty, so I just got fully caught up.

My main reaction is :hit

You put so much care and effort into these eggs, and you came so close to hatching! Hatching can be a very humbling experience, and its hard to know what exactly causes chicks to not hatch at the end. I wonder about genetics and inbreeding. My beautiful rooster has something wrong with his genetics that cause most of the eggs hatched from his daughters (I try not to think about chicken family relationships too hard, lol) to either not hatch, or be born with some weird birth defect. I've since stopped trying with those eggs.

I'm off to start my own high risk hatch experience, as I just put 15 shipped eggs in the incubator. I'm seeing evidence of old eggs (large air sacs) and detached air sacs. I'm hoping for a few to hatch, but not feeling terribly optimistic right now.
Thx.
Good luck with this hatch.
Where can I follow it?

Back
Top Bottom