Kiki's found horse eggs—experiment Round 2

Hitting on the relative humidity.........

We are to be 8-11% today.

How ya'll survive in high humidity is beyond me!
:th

We don't skimp on laundry detergent or antiperspirant. :lau

Seriously, not only is it humid in general in middle TN, but living by water means I feel the thickness of the air sometimes and we have patchy, dense fog seasonally. However, visiting Florida in August gave me perspective. You haven't experienced humidity until you've stepped off a comfortably air conditioned plane into a tropical sauna. :sick

It gets really hot, as in multiple 100+ degrees day, in the summer where I live (desert-like foothills). It is a dry heat blah, blah blah. But, 110 degree is the bright sunshine at 15 % humidity pretty much brings all outdoor activity to halt. It's hard on the chickens -- I have a big mister fan that I train on their coop, but its still hard for them.

We lounge around in the shade under the coop. Dig down to the wet dirt and lay in that. The misters just don't work here. We get soaked standing around. Beats shoveling snow with frozen fingers! :D

I've piled mulch up around the ramp and the nest boxes for the soon to hatch feed store chicks fresh from Ideal. Assuming she adopts them. Do I need to worry about the other hens? I'll be working on Wednesday morning and won't be able to watch.

Second question, this broody is playing musical nests. The golf balls are chasing here when I collect the eggs. But out of 4 nests, she has sat in 3 for the 2 weeks she has been sitting. If these were real eggs, they'd be done. Is this just her seeking eggs and not golf balls or what? @Ursuline Chick

We lounge around in the shade under the coop. Dig down to the wet dirt and lay in that. The misters just don't work here. We get soaked standing around. Beats shoveling snow with frozen fingers! :D

I've piled mulch up around the ramp and the nest boxes for the soon to hatch feed store chicks fresh from Ideal. Assuming she adopts them. Do I need to worry about the other hens? I'll be working on Wednesday morning and won't be able to watch.

Second question, this broody is playing musical nests. The golf balls are chasing here when I collect the eggs. But out of 4 nests, she has sat in 3 for the 2 weeks she has been sitting. If these were real eggs, they'd be done. Is this just her seeking eggs and not golf balls or what? @Ursuline Chick
She is playing musical nests!
I personally would worry about the other hens bothering the chicks...shoot I'd worry about her bothering the chicks.
You won't know if she accepts them until you try it.
Have a back up plan in case she wants nothing to do with them.

My 5 flufferbutters.
img_7805-jpg.1383538

Back
Top Bottom