Kiki's found horse eggs—experiment Round 2

20180512_154028.jpg
20180512_154034.jpg
This is the little guy that I will eat Chick feed if he is not a cockerel. The other is my splash. Anybody think I am wrong about the cockerel?
  1. 20180512_154112.jpg

Are they in visual contact with the flock? I think that makes a big difference.

Last group of chicks I had to brood myself, I put them in my outside brooder -- the coop annex" that has a hardware cloth window to the main coop. When they were around 2 weeks, I started putting them in a fenced off part of the chicken yard, so they could see the other birds. When they were 5 or 6 weeks or so, I opened the fenced area and the birds mingled together almost immediately with no problems. The little ones were at the dead bottom of the pecking order, of course, but were not unduly harassed.

It should work even better with a broody mom involved. If you can put mom and her chicks in a safe area next to, or within the coop or run, for a couple of days, so they get used to each again, I would think the integration should be pretty smooth. Will put in a prayer to St. Brigid for you.
They have all been in contact (through hardware cloth) with the main flock since they hatched. Thank You, very much. @room onthebroom and @Morrigan

I hope you're wrong because the black one looks just like Baby Iris, all the way down to the brown spots on the feathers. My heart cant handle rehoming another roo. :(
Is Baby Iris a FBCM? I have never seen a full blooded FBCM hen with copper on her wing feathers, the wing feathers on the adult hens are all black. I have a few chicks with copper showing on their wing feathers.

I have no guesses about the sex of the chicks. They sure are cute, though.

I've been fortunate enough to have a sex-link with the offspring of my ameraucana rooster. In about 90% of time, the girls legs will start to turn green about 2 weeks in. Only one green legs has not been a hen. All yellow legs have been roosters. It's gotten me lazy about trying to sex through combs/feathers, etc.

I've noticed also, that only those hens who get the pea comb gene lay blue-green eggs. Those that get the single comb gene from the sussex or orpington have all laid light brown eggs.

View attachment 1385324 View attachment 1385329 This is the little guy that I will eat Chick feed if he is not a cockerel. The other is my splash. Anybody think I am wrong about the cockerel?
  1. View attachment 1385331
Round tips on feathers at the neck, back and top row on wings would indicate pullet.
Pointed feathers in those same places would indicate a cockerel.
Comb color can be iffy depending on the breed.

Little cockerels should begin swelling on their ankles for their spurs about 4 weeks...it feels like a small button. Not a conclusive trait because some pullets in breeds also have buttons.

Round tips on feathers at the neck, back and top row on wings would indicate pullet.
Pointed feathers in those same places would indicate a cockerel.
Comb color can be iffy depending on the breed.

Little cockerels should begin swelling on their ankles for their spurs about 4 weeks...it feels like a small button. Not a conclusive trait because some pullets in breeds also have buttons.
These 2 of 10 are almost 2 weeks old. Does that make a difference regarding feathers?

Back
Top Bottom