Kiki's found horse eggs—experiment Round 2

I put these 6 on grass in a chicken tractor at 2 weeks. They have never had pasty butt either. Our first go round had several instances and we kept them inside for 6 weeks and feeding higher protein chick starter. Not having to clean the brooder twice daily is very nice.

We are supplementing and taming these chicks with mealworms. High protein, but a couple tablespoons a day between all of them. They love the mealworm fingers. But after feeding, they run to the corner for a bit until they all come out to ignore me. Work in progress and I'm not out there more than 30 minutes a day. Maybe more. Daughters were working with them, but they've returned.

Medicated chick starter is a solution to a problem caused by sanitation and crowding. IIRR. Big companies and operations want it. Us backyard hobbyists are different and monitor individuals, not flock health. I studied it and decided that we would give medicine if needed. We haven't needed it.

Pasty butt caused by heat. Hmm. Source? I am interested.

Why won't you?
I prefer to not treat for something I don't have.
OR use something for a just in case
AND

I have seen too many people that use medicated feed and still end up having to treat with Corid/something similar while using medicated feed.

Medicated chick starter is a solution to a problem caused by sanitation and crowding. IIRR. Big companies and operations want it. Us backyard hobbyists are different and monitor individuals, not flock health. I studied it and decided that we would give medicine if needed. We haven't needed it.

Yes pasty butt can be cause by too much heat.
You are making me work today huh.
BRB

I prefer to not treat for something I don't have.
OR use something for a just in case
AND

I have seen too many people that use medicated feed and still end up having to treat with Corid/something similar while using medicated feed.
Makes sense.
Once I'm done with this bag of medicated I'll switch.

I'm looking for something better but will this work for now?
https://www.purinamills.com/chicken-feed/education/detail/chick-pasting-up

Back
Top Bottom