Kiki's found horse eggs—experiment Round 2

I have sad news. One of Molly's babies didn't make it. I went out this afternoon to feed my mom's horses (they are away for the weekend) and Molly was kicking up a fuss. I looked in her pen and I found a baby on its back. I thought it was dead, but when my shadow covered its body it opened its eyes and started bicycling its legs in the air, I picked it up and it looked really shaky and unsteady on its feet. I took it inside and gave it some Nutridrench and water. I had to dip its beak a few times to get it to actually drink. It looked like it perked up after 10-15 min. When I checked on it 2 hours later, I found it under the ramp for the broody box, dead. It looked like it laid down in the shade and died. I'm glad the poor little thing at least didn't die on its back in the sun. Poor thing wasn't as vigorous as the rest of the chicks and was 25% smaller than the other chicks it hatched with. I think it was a failure to thrive baby. I'm now really glad that I grafted the 4 older chicks onto Molly. She does so well with her babies that I think it would be sad for her to only have 4 of them.

I have sad news. One of Molly's babies didn't make it. I went out this afternoon to feed my mom's horses (they are away for the weekend) and Molly was kicking up a fuss. I looked in her pen and I found a baby on its back. I thought it was dead, but when my shadow covered its body it opened its eyes and started bicycling its legs in the air, I picked it up and it looked really shaky and unsteady on its feet. I took it inside and gave it some Nutridrench and water. I had to dip its beak a few times to get it to actually drink. It looked like it perked up after 10-15 min. When I checked on it 2 hours later, I found it under the ramp for the broody box, dead. It looked like it laid down in the shade and died. I'm glad the poor little thing at least didn't die on its back in the sun. Poor thing wasn't as vigorous as the rest of the chicks and was 25% smaller than the other chicks it hatched with. I think it was a failure to thrive baby. I'm now really glad that I grafted the 4 older chicks onto Molly. She does so well with her babies that I think it would be sad for her to only have 4 of them.
:hugs

So first batch of chicks were incubator chicks and brooded in the house with a heat lamp. Started brooder at 95* and and had trouble lowering the heat evenly until they went out. No pasty butt issues but did show with coccidiosis once moved outside. Fed non medicated starter and grit with other supplements. (Had curved toes in a chick)
Second batch of chicks hatched under Momma. No heat lamp needed. Went outside the coop at a week old. Getting chick starter but haven’t needed grit or supplements. They are eating dirt and bugs and as happy as can be. At 2 weeks old I don’t think they are at 90*. I’ve seen no signs of anything unhealthy. Most nights their crops are so full I’m not sure how they are standing upright. LOL

Momma raising chicks is way easier!

So first batch of chicks were incubator chicks and brooded in the house with a heat lamp. Started brooder at 95* and and had trouble lowering the heat evenly until they went out. No pasty butt issues but did show with coccidiosis once moved outside. Fed non medicated starter and grit with other supplements. (Had curved toes in a chick)
Second batch of chicks hatched under Momma. No heat lamp needed. Went outside the coop at a week old. Getting chick starter but haven’t needed grit or supplements. They are eating dirt and bugs and as happy as can be. At 2 weeks old I don’t think they are at 90*. I’ve seen no signs of anything unhealthy. Most nights their crops are so full I’m not sure how they are standing upright. LOL

Momma raising chicks is way easier!
I've got one a week old that refuses to go inside even when momma is inside yelling at it. :D

I'm very sorry for you and your little chick. ((hugs))

I believe a lot of people keep their brooders too hot.
It is my belief it that a brooder does not need to be 95 or above ever.
My horse chicks did just fine at 85!
:eek:
Hm what?
I think I screwed this sentence up.
:th

I get as many (actually probably more) chicks with pasty butt with broody hens as I do indoors. Brinsea brooder plate, heat lamps, etc. Personally I think it has more to do with heat/humidity combination plus each chicks own vigor. And even a little to do with breed. Some seem to get it more than others. Just my 2 cents.

This year I switched to infrared reptile heat bulbs (no light, just heat) and probably keep the brooders cooler than I used to, and I’ve had much better luck.

Yeah, just thought of this, cream legbars are the only blue egg gene chicken (As far as I know) that doesn't have a muff or beard.
Cream Legbars have crests, white ears, and barring, though. I don't see those traits either. This doesn't mean the gene didn't come from one back a few generations but they're a relatively new breed at hatcheries. I'd put my $ on the much more common EE.

I get as many (actually probably more) chicks with pasty butt with broody hens as I do indoors. Brinsea brooder plate, heat lamps, etc. Personally I think it has more to do with heat/humidity combination plus each chicks own vigor. And even a little to do with breed. Some seem to get it more than others. Just my 2 cents.

This year I switched to infrared reptile heat bulbs (no light, just heat) and probably keep the brooders cooler than I used to, and I’ve had much better luck.
The pasty chicks with broodies, are they being raised in the summer heat? I've always believed that pasting usually begins with dehydration but physical defects (like wry tail) can also be to blame.

Back
Top Bottom