Kiki's Friday Night Extravagant CELEBRATION!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Cindy's Grammar Moment
(This is mostly for us geeks... kof-kof Banty, Saff...)

DH just asked me if my coffee was percolating. I use a French press so I said, "It's steeping." For some reason I wondered what the name was for words that are spelled the same, sound the same, and have unrelated meanings. I didn't think it was a homonym. That's for words that sound alike but have different meanings and are spelled differently, right? I'm pretty sure that's what my third grade teacher said... (but that was a looooong time ago).

Anyway here's the run-down:

Homograph: Spelled alike; sound differently; have different meanings. lead/lead "Lead me to the waterin' hole." "Imma go send some lead down-range. Gotta sight in mah rifle"

Homophone: Spelled differently; sound alike; have different meanings: herd/heard "I heard the herd bellerin' down by the watering hole."

Homonym: Spelled the same; sound the same; different meanings: cleave/cleave Cleave to your better half. A gem cutter cleaves crystals along their cleavage lines. A bra... (nevermind)

Bottom line: it WAS a homonym. So there you go. :lau Your daily insight into the strange workings of a grammar nazi's thought patterns.
And none to soon I see..... ;)

Cindy's Grammar Moment
(This is mostly for us geeks... kof-kof Banty, Saff...)

DH just asked me if my coffee was percolating. I use a French press so I said, "It's steeping." For some reason I wondered what the name was for words that are spelled the same, sound the same, and have unrelated meanings. I didn't think it was a homonym. That's for words that sound alike but have different meanings and are spelled differently, right? I'm pretty sure that's what my third grade teacher said... (but that was a looooong time ago).

Anyway here's the run-down:

Homograph: Spelled alike; sound differently; have different meanings. lead/lead "Lead me to the waterin' hole." "Imma go send some lead down-range. Gotta sight in mah rifle"

Homophone: Spelled differently; sound alike; have different meanings: herd/heard "I heard the herd bellerin' down by the watering hole."

Homonym: Spelled the same; sound the same; different meanings: cleave/cleave Cleave to your better half. A gem cutter cleaves crystals along their cleavage lines. A bra... (nevermind)

Bottom line: it WAS a homonym. So there you go. :lau Your daily insight into the strange workings of a grammar nazi's thought patterns.
:love

I'm the opposite. I don't do well with carpentry or other stuff, but I can build or fix a computer, and I specialize in the software troubleshooting side.
I'm good for cooking, hugs, fainting, bird handling, and little else.
Seriously -- I'm so naive and brainless that Spook -- friendly Spook -- can take advantage of me and sneak into the house as I go through the door.
I'm already being taken advantage of by a male! And he's not even human -- he's a stupid guinea! 😫
I'm not really upset. The first paragraph, though, is true, as is the comment about Spook sneaking in through the door after me.

Last edited:
Now to figure out what picture I'll offer up to the alter of Friday night fun.....
A) art (with a humourous backstory)
G) gearheaded g33k specific
C) Carnage/compost
B) beauty in all forms
D) dirt (getting down & dirty, "G-PG rating")
E) electrified
F) Foodies unite
H) home is where the heart is
I) the 'I's have it
J) jokes and other shinanigans
K) kindness
L) laziness encarnate (sp)
M) Is for Murder
N) nerds and other parafinalia
O) oceans 11?
P) people in Real life
Q) "Q" from STNG
R) Radar from "M*A*S*H 4077"
S) stellar ideas
T) time is fleeting.....
U) universal appendages
V) Venus flytrap?
W) web is mystery
X) X-rays of course
Y) why knot
Z) the gay blade of course

Choose your poison pilgrims......

I'm good for cooking, hugs, fainting, bird handling, and little else.
Seriously -- I'm so naive and brainless that Spook -- friendly Spook -- can take advantage of me and sneak into the house as I go through the door.
I'm already being taken advantage of by a male! And he's not even human -- he's a stupid guinea! 😫
I'm not really upset. The first paragraph, though, is true, as is the comment about Spook sneaking in through the door after me.
You're good for making us smile too! And don't you forget it! 🥰

Now to figure out what picture I'll offer up to the alter of Friday night fun.....
A) art (with a humourous backstory)
G) gearheaded g33k specific
C) Carnage/compost
B) beauty in all forms
D) dirt (getting down & dirty, "G-PG rating")
E) electrified
F) Foodies unite
H) home is where the heart is
I) the 'I's have it
J) jokes and other shinanigans
K) kindness
L) laziness encarnate (sp)
M) Is for Murder
N) nerds and other parafinalia
O) oceans 11?
P) people in Real life
Q) "Q" from STNG