Kill Coccidia?

mochicken

Songster
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
NW Missouri
I had a bantam chick die yesterday, I just got them day before yesterday and they are about a month old. The chick was kinda lethargic when I got them but I bought them all (22 chicks) and the rest of them were and still are acting fine, eating, drinking, and making all kinds of noise.

I was told to get some "Corid" to treat the chicks that were caged with the sick one but a friend on the forum here sent me a message and asked if I had medicated chick feed and that should kill the coccidia in the chicks that are acting fine before it gets worse.

What is my best option here? I can pick up either medicated food or Corid or is there a better option? They are bantams and still very small obviously so I didnt want to overdose them on an antibiotic which is why the medicated feed sounded appealing.

Last edited:
I accidentally double posted due to internet issues, I apologize to the moderators and ask that they delete one of the two posts with identical names
sad.png

I ended up having to order Corid from Jeffers because I could not find it locally, the only thing I found was a gallon of it at UPCO, I checked TSC and three different Orscheln locations and they did not have Corid or Sulmet.

I actually went ahead and ordered Sulmet for future needs since they did not have it locally either. Jeffers was super fast, I was worried it would be 7-10 days but they shipped it the same day and I will have it on Friday. I have a couple babies that are acting kinda lethargic, I just hope the stuff gets here and I can get them treated before it gets worse.

Quote:
Add a strong dose of apple cider vinegar to their water until the sulmet arrives. It will help some, but is definitely second rate compared with sulmet or corrid.

I had one pass away already, I just got them last weekend and it was fluffed up and stood by itself barely moving and had diarrhea with some blood in it, since then I have have 2 more that are acting kinda lethargic and "puffed up" feathers. I tried adding the vitamin and mineral packs to their water and no relief, neither of them have gotten to the bloody diarrhea point yet so I am hoping they are either getting past it or it just hasnt got to this point.

I do not know what the conditions were that they came from, I have had my own chickens from day old and they are all perfectly healthy and happy. I got the bantams at around 4 weeks old and there are some of them that are a little on the small side ( yes even for bantams ) lol so I am assuming the person was not so good to them. They had hundreds of birds for sale on craigslist and said they hatched them out and it became "too much" for them so they were selling them out. I felt bad for them because they looked plucked and scared so I bought all 22, my plan was to get them big and healthy and keep a few and pass the others on to responsible chicken owners.

If it is cocci, the last thing you want to do is give them vitamins--that will actually make things worse. electrolytes are fine, but not vitamins, which are needed for the coccidia thrive and reproduce. Anti-coccidial meds limit available vitamins. Amprollium blocks thiamine (a B vitamin); sulfa drugs block folic acid and PABA.

Yeah I gave them the nutrient packs when I first got them thinking that was the problem, after the one died and it looked like cocci then I started in my pursuit to find Corid or Sulmet

Back
Top Bottom