Killed by bullying??

Remick01

Hatching
May 16, 2020
A while back, maybe four months ago, we integrated 4 new chickens with oir existing flock of 4 chickens. We have had to deal with bullying issues in thebpast but nothing too serious. Yesterday, my wife heard a commotion. One of our older chicken was on top of a younger chicken and attacking. She broke it up and didn't see any injuries.

She still took both chickens and put them into kennels in our garage. A few hours later, the younger chickens comb was looking like it was turning slightly purple. This morning we found the younger chicken cold and stiff.

Is this normal? Was it scared to death? Are there possible internal injuries we couldn't see?

We have decided that after today, all chickens are getting peepers on them.

A while back, maybe four months ago, we integrated 4 new chickens with oir existing flock of 4 chickens. We have had to deal with bullying issues in thebpast but nothing too serious. Yesterday, my wife heard a commotion. One of our older chicken was on top of a younger chicken and attacking. She broke it up and didn't see any injuries.

She still took both chickens and put them into kennels in our garage. A few hours later, the younger chickens comb was looking like it was turning slightly purple. This morning we found the younger chicken cold and stiff.

Is this normal? Was it scared to death? Are there possible internal injuries we couldn't see?

We have decided that after today, all chickens are getting peepers on them.
The purpleish comb is indicative of not getting enough blood... I wonder if brain swelling was the issue. A few weeks back we had a a 5 week old chick jump out of the brooder when I turned my back; it hit something and fell to the ground and seemed fine.... but a few hours later I noticed it by itself panting and laying down... it died overnight. The only thing I could think of was brain swelling.

One thing to consider is that a flock will often drive away/attack a sick or dying member. It’s possible that your younger chicken was already dying before the attack occurred. In other words, maybe the older chicken killed the younger one or maybe the younger one was already dying and the older one just followed natural instincts of removing weak members. I can’t say why your chicken died, just pointing out different angles of looking at what might have happened.

Back
Top Bottom