Killed Ducks and Missing Chicken (May be Graphic)

LynMcLean

Songster
14 Years
Jun 24, 2009
Michigan
I keep my duck in a dog pen fence covered in hardware cloth with a shed type building that I leave the duck entrance open so they can go in and out of it whenever they want.
About 2 am Friday morning I heard my ducks quaking louder than normal and went out to see what was going on. I could only find 4 out of 5 ducks. Then was no sign of a kill, no feathers left behind or anything. I looked for open holes in the fence, but couldn't find any that she could have easily fit through. I went back in puzzled, and a few hours later heard the duck again. I went out to find on duck decapitated and another badly hurt (Daisy later died of her injuries and maggot infestation). I found a hole in the roof where two parts of the fence were joined and closed it up.
P1110647.JPG
P1110646.JPG

The next night I decided to lock up my 2 remaining duck in their house. About 5 am I hear a duck and go out to check on them and find Daphne standing on the outside of the duck pen. I pick her up and bring in my house where I had the injured duck. I go back out and can't find my drake, Trouble. But I find a big hole in the side of my duck house.
P1110652.JPG

Later that day I let Daphne come outside to get some sun and all of the sudden Trouble comes running up to her. Later neighbors tell me he was all over the neighborhood and even played dead for a neighbor that's afraid of birds.
Then Sunday I let my chickens out in the yard while I further predator proofed my pen and happened to notice one of my bantams missing. It was the middle of the day, there was no sound and no feathers left.
What kind of predator am I dealing with? I set a live trap and so far caught two raccoons and a baby opossum. I know we also have weasels and foxes in the neighborhood too.

Back
Top Bottom