Killed my first hen yesterday by broomstick method (mercy kill) and I need some affirmation

I killed a rooster for the first time using the broomstick method today. I was afraid of a slow death, so I accidentally pulled his entire head off.

He flapped. a LOT. I would have thought he was still alive if his head hadn't literally been severed from his body.

There's a reason we have that saying, "running around like a headless chicken" ... don't let the death throes make you feel bad!
I prefer complete decapitation with a SHARP! chef's knife. Not merely Sharp, or was once SHARP, or worst of all, sHArP, but well and truly SHARP!

That said, the method isn't for everyone or even most. I imagine the typical person would be disconcerted when the body-less head seemingly takes a breath while you hold it in your hand, and the body flaps around considerably while its head is absent. and then does it more if you hit it with a cold hose. Like a lizard's tail, or a headless snake, movement is no indication of life.

Here, the OPs choice of cervical dislocation for a mercy killing was probably the best method for most people under similar circumstances.

and yeah, they move a bit, even freshly dead.

Don't know about the broomstick method but one of my hens Molly as I called her fell ill and weighed the cost of taking her to a costly vet or trying to nurse her back to health. She was just too weak and too old to consider vet treatment. Most of it I believe was age, I rescued her and 5 others from a neighbor who was clueless about raising chickens and basically did not take care of them properly. They had a very rough start in life and was not sure they would last much longer. However with patience and time I nurtured them back into egg producing hens who loved their new home and treatment. Awhile ago I pulled Molly and layed her on a thick cardboard box, she was so weak she just layed there on her side. I took my razer sharp machette and lobbed her head off, it was over quickly. I was just glad to end her suffering because that was more concerning to me then anything. We do what we must in times and being a Sunday there are no vet offices nearby to reach out to. I believe I did the most painless mercy kill and the hen is now resting in peace.

Back
Top Bottom