Killer Foxes...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by atomic_cutiepie, Feb 28, 2009.

1. atomic_cutiepie

atomic_cutiepie New Egg

Feb 28, 2009
    My husband and I have had 3 flocks of our chickens killed by local foxes, despite fairly extreme measures to prevent such things from happening.

The latest incident was tonight. 2 foxes popped their chubby @$$es out of our coop as my husband was locking up our peeps for the night. Aaaaaaargh! As a result he was able to collect the carcasses immediately.

My question is, are the chickens still viable as a source of food? I mean, can we eat them? The foxes killed them, but we retrieved them immediately. Is there anything that could make us sick?

Thanks!!

Atomic!

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

I can`t imagine anything that will make you sick, if the foxes were healthy. Always cook chicken well done anyway, even our home grown chickens.

When you get tired of those foxes, PM me.

3. timbofarms

timbofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Humboldt/West TN
    Sounds like u need a spot light and rifle. [​IMG]

4. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:I would NOT eat them, what if the foxes has rebies?? it is not worth it.

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] Atomic When we started having problems with foxes, coyotes and coons, we put a radio in the barn that's on a timer to come on before dark and turns off after daylight. The noise helped keep them away. You might want to give it a try. It is not always possible to get your sights on the predator in time. [​IMG]

6. luvanimals3

luvanimals3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Georgia
    Rabies is always a possibility. If you are ever handling an animal that has been attacked by another animal wear gloves because the other animals slavia is still present on the the "victim." l would be very weary of eating the chickens.

7. timbofarms

timbofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Humboldt/West TN
    Oh yes! Welcome to BYC

8. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Quote:My father in law uses this method to keep the racoons out of the sweet corn. He puts in a tent next to the garden.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by