Killer Kitty is M.I.A.

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
Last Sunday morning was kinda frantic. I discovered my car had a flat late Saturday night and I had to be @ work early Sunday....car set all week without a problem and gets a flat the night before I have to work!
somad.gif

Anyhow, I didn't want the SO to have to change it when he came in from work at 1 a.m. Sunday morning. It was like 20 degrees outside, so he got up after 3 hours sleep to take me to work. When we went out the door Killer Kitty was runing around like always. I know the bobcat was around somewhere too, cuz I heard him yowling before I got out of bed. When I opened the gate so the SO could back his truck out I thought it was strange that Kitty didn't come running to get up on the gate post for a scratchin', so I looked around real quick, called her, and even checked in the house to make sure she hadn't snuck in. No Kitty. The SO assured me she would show up. We were running late, so I left it at that. Kitty hasn't been seen since. We've talked about all the possible scenarios...she ran off with the bobcat (she was getting more and more used to him being around), she rode in or on the truck to town (highly unlikely, she would occasionally sleep in the bed of the truck, but would always jump out when the truck was started) or she accidently got locked in one of the outbuildings...but that doesn't make sense either cuz I KNOW I saw her when we first went out to the truck. So anyhow, she's gone and I find that I really do miss her
hit.gif

She was 'only' a barn cat, but she was sweet and had a good personality.
I finally gave up hope today that she'll be coming back and fed what little cat food was left in the bag to the dogs (yes, I know it's not good for them but one serving of it won't kill them either and they love cat food). My SO says now that I've fed all her food to the dogs Kitty will show back up, but I doubt it
sad.png

Can't decide, should I right away try to replace her with another barn cat or should I wait awhile? There are plenty of barn cats to be had, including from a rescue that has some semi-ferals that they are adopting out specifically as barn cats; knowing that they stand little chance of being tamed completely.
What do y'all think?

Last edited:
Awww, I DO hope your dear kitty comes home! Maybe she just went out for a stoll!? Now that her food is gone, I bet she WILL come home. Anyways...if the other kitties need a home, and you can take them in, sure...go ahead get a few....for the mice controll.

I'm so sorry.
It certainly isn't unheard of for a cat to return after a week or more of being missing. I had a cat return after three weeks once - it turned out he was locked in a neighbor's barn while they were on vacation.
As for getting another kitty, I guess that would depend on the first cat's personality. If your first cat didn't like other cats, I would wait a couple of weeks, because it would be sad if she returns and someone has taken her place. However, if she doesn't mind other cats, then go for it. If your first kitty does return, then you have double the mouse patrols.
I hope Kitty comes home.
hugs.gif

I would wait at least a week. We have had them disappear for that long and they show up a little skinny but fine. We just figure they got locked up some where. I sure hope you get yours back too.
fl.gif

Are you in an area where you can post flyers with kitty's photo (hopefully you have one)?. She may be hurt somewhere and need to be found. A neighbor's kitty once got caught in one of those godawful leg hold traps and couldn't get free - they looked and looked and found him a few days later and saved him, though the poor kitty did lose a leg in the process. We had no idea there was a trap anywhere in this region yet there it was, in the woods.
I am hoping very much your cat comes home
fl.gif
and I would look and wait awhile before getting another if you're concerned about them coexisting peacefully.
JJ

No place around here to post pics. No new news on Killer Kitty, but y'all are right. She doesn't like other cats. She was basically raised by my wolfhound (since 3 weeks old), so she really thinks she's a dog with a 'tude and climbing abilities. She'd gotten to the point where she would chase the bobcat hybrid off when she saw him. I'm gonna wait at least a couple of more weeks before we start talking about getting a new barn kitty.

It could turn out like my missing cat. Show up two weeks later fat(ter) and sporting a blue color. Didnt have a color when she left, but who puts a blue color on a girl cat?? no wonder she came back, but was obviouolsy getting feed.
fl.gif
you can always hope
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom