Killing a turkey

do i need to stop feeding the turkey before i butcher it?

Yes. Remove feed 8-12 hours before butchering or you will regret it when trying to remove the crop intact. 24 hours is too long and stresses them out in my experience. Taking food up in the evening for a morning butchering is ideal.

When you hunt pheasant, wild turkey, grouse, quail, etc you do not withhold food for 12 hours before you shoot them and butcher them. So no, you don't NEED to.

Some people withhold feed for a period of time before they butcher a bird. That's mainly to clean out the intestines so if you accidentally nick the intestines while butchering you don't get much leakage. I personally don't. I use a lot of water and rinse well anyway, always rinsing off my hands. If I do accidentally get some leakage I just rinse if off well and keep going. I don't consider it that big of a deal as long as it's washed off.

Some people that withhold food will feed them a bit just before they butcher, they say it makes the crop easier to find. I don't have a problem with that either. I can always find the crop whether it is full, empty, or in between.

Back
Top Bottom