killing chicks at high rates

gregorys

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2018
Incubating pheasants in sportsman cabinet at 99* and 55% humidity. Lock down in havobators incubators for hatching at 98-99* and 70% humidity. One has a sponge and water in trays. The other has an automatic humidity machine and is set at 74%. On hatch day 5-6 out of 24 eggs hatch fast and perfect. The rest nothing so I float in water to check for life. Nothing, so I open them and find a lot of liquid like they drowned. Had one pip and started to zip the kind of shrink wrapped in its slime. I don't know because some seam too humid and some seam to have not enough. Any clues so I can stop killing? The fertilized egg rate is 98%. I wash with soap between hatches so doubt it's bacteria.

Incubating pheasants in sportsman cabinet at 99* and 55% humidity. Lock down in havobators incubators for hatching at 98-99* and 70% humidity. One has a sponge and water in trays. The other has an automatic humidity machine and is set at 74%. On hatch day 5-6 out of 24 eggs hatch fast and perfect. The rest nothing so I float in water to check for life. Nothing, so I open them and find a lot of liquid like they drowned. Had one pip and started to zip the kind of shrink wrapped in its slime. I don't know because some seam too humid and some seam to have not enough. Any clues so I can stop killing? The fertilized egg rate is 98%. I wash with soap between hatches so doubt it's bacteria.
sounds like humidity in the first part of incubation might be too high. what you need depends on your local humidity. I live in a really humid climate and don't add any humidity to chicken eggs for incubating. I usually run at 12% inside the incubator for the first 18 days.

obviously pheasant eggs are probably different from chicken eggs, but the chick being glued in sounds like they're too wet. keep your hatching humidity up, where it is, but lower it a bit for the first part next time.

I incubate my pheasant eggs at 43% RH, at lockdown, increase to 60%RH
70% RH is too high, high humidity can cause lots of problems during the incubation and the hatching process. As you noted.

Tried turning down on next batch. Now 4 hatch fine, 2 zip and then get a clear coat surrounding them and die. Suffocating I suppose now. The gluey substance is gone but now its a glaze type on them.

Back
Top Bottom