killing weeds near coop

bogeys

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 23, 2012
our coop is near an area [the garage among others] that always have a lot of weeds and iv all ways sprayed ,i HAVE to get rid of them, theyll over run every thing if i dont.i just got new chickens this winter and they are doing well.how about i spray and and dont let them out for a week or so?or i need a cheap solution that will work .thanks

Similar dilemma here. Hubby works with these chemicals in his job and says they would be fine to use like that as the chemical in roundup is very short lived. I have to admit I haven't let him spray ours though. Just makes me nervous.

An "old time" way of getting rid of weeds is to pour pickle juice on them. Of course, it's the vinegar and salt in the pickle juice that's killing the weeds. Might try sprinkling the weeds with this concoction and see if it helps. You don't want to soak them with that, either, as the excess salt wouldn't be good for the birds if they actually ate the weeds. And there's the matter of run-off if you have any streams nearby.

Good luck!

You can spray the weeds with vinegar mixed with a bit of dishwashing soap. The vinegar will kill the tops of the weeds. The more tender the weeds, the better it will work. The soap facilitates the vinegar sticking to the leaves. It will dessicate the plant. It takes soaking the weed to have enough of an effect to kill the tops. Older weeds will require repeated applications to kill the entire plant.

The vinegar won't hurt the chickens, but your yard will smell like a salad for a while.

I just let the chickens out to forage each day. They eat most of the weeds anyway.

Chris

We use a weed eater trimmer to cut down the weeds. Of course they will grow back but you just use the weed eater again. Weeds are gone and you don't have to worry about chemicals around your chickens.

If it's an area that the chicken will have access to just let them take care of it, all vegetation will be shortly scratched up and eaten or spread out.

Back
Top Bottom