Kinda Desperate... any help appreciated.

BoldogKennel

Songster
9 Years
Jan 29, 2010
Washington State
I do understand all about adult turkeys and their health issues due to size. But this is new to me.

I have one beloved tom turkey about one year old now. He is not huge, and gets around ok generally.

About a month ago I found him unable to walk, with his neck twisted over to the side like a wry neck. I thought he had got bonked on the head as we had had a wind storm and part of the hen house came down. With me farting around about killing him, he recovered perfectly in 4 days and has been fine since. Now today I find him out in the rain, unable to walk, his head wry-ed over again, and I had to carry him to shetler which just about did me in. Is this something anyone is familiar with? I thought wry neck was caused my injury, but obviously not. I really hate to kill him, but I won't have him suffering in this hell-begotten rain that won't stop.

Any thoughts?

Thank you kindly.

I don't have any turkeys yet but I was wondering if you could keep your turkey in while it is raining? Hopefully someone with more knowledge will answer you. Poor guy I hope he gets better

Yes, westside. A thread about what?

He is under a 20 x 20' open shed, but he wondered out yesterday. I got him eating some turkey eggs today, for food and drink, and his neck seems better, but he still can't stand. I'll have to do him in tomorrow if he is not better, as I am not one to let an animal suffer.
sad.png

I don't know how to post a link to another thread, but the thread by kuntrygirl is titled "Wry Neck (with Respiratory Problems) Pics & treatment Plan." She documented this condition in her turkey and exactly how she treated it. Maybe you can do a search and find it. She was very thorough in her information. I myself have never had a turkey, but I did have a young silkie with wry neck. I treated her with poly-vi-sol vitamin drops (without iron) several times a day and hand fed and watered her. I also enhanced her diet with anything that had a high vitamin E content (wheat grem is good for this) as I believe that a vitamin E definciency can be one of the causes of wry neck. The birds body uses vitamin E to build nerves and maintain the nervous system, thus a deficiency can cause their nervous system to freak out. Anyway, my silkie improved completely after about a week. That was 6 months ago and she has not had any sign of wry neck since. She is totally normal.

Hope that helped.

Good luck with your turkey, and if you do decide to put him down then I am sorry for your loss. It sounds like you really like him.

Here is the link to the thread everyone is talking about: Link!

I don't have any ideas about what could be wrong, but I hope he gets better!

Quote:
Good morning BoldogKennel. Sorry that I'm just reading your thread. So sorry to hear about your turkey. How is your turkey doing?

Wry neck with respiratory problems is a stubborn problem that refuses to go away with turkeys. It can be a long process, so you have to be able to put in the work and time to get your turkey better.

My Tom has experienced the same thing. Thanks to everyone who referred him to the post that I documented about wry neck and respiratory problems. If you can follow the steps that I documented, I think that this can help your turkey. It helped the first time he had it. He got another case of it again about 3 weeks ago. The respiratory problem came back and then the wry neck developed. The respiratory problem is gone but he still has that stubborn wry neck. A couple of the turkey BYC'ers suggested that I add Vitamin E with Selenium. I am treating him with the Vitamin E and Children's vitamins right now but there is no change in his neck. Although his neck is twisted, he is still eating and drinking and running around. He is definitely not suffering. I would never let any of my animals suffer. I am still trying to research more on the wry neck. My next step is to take him to LSU School Vet Medicine, so that they can see him so that I can get down to the root of this wry neck problem.

I would suggest that you remove your turkey from any rain or below temps weather. I think that is the cause of my Tom getting the respiratory problem and then the wry neck. You will have to contain you turkey in a nice, dark, quiet, dry area so that your turkey can get some rest and relaxation. They do not need to be stressed out. I kept my turkey in the laundry room. He was on puppy pads and towels.

I will await to hear your response about the condition of your turkey. Sorry again about your turkey.

Back
Top Bottom