Kinda OT: Question for Anyone running several Incubators 24/7

NoSkiveez

NoSkiveez Poultry
10 Years
Dec 27, 2009
Casa Grande
My Coop
My Coop
I'm wondering if your electric bill has shot thru the roof. In the last month or so, I've had a hatching obligation that requires me to run several incubators non stop and my electric bill has gone up drastically and im wondering if it is the heating element.

I'm running:

1 Sportman
1 Forced Air Hovabator
1 Forced Air Little Giant
1 Still Air Little Giant
1 Forced Air TX6
1 Brower Stacking Brooder

Would these be effecting my electric bill the way it is? It went from $180 to $325 when we went from the one forced air little giant to all of the others.

If I'm not mistaken, wafer style incubators and brooders are water heater elements? Am I wrong?

Quote:
X2 I have a HB and 2 homemade bators running the bill did not change but when you turn on 250 watt heat lamps I met a old fellow who uses smaller brooders ( cardboard boxes) and 40-100 watt regular bulbs after I started doing this the bill went back down

Quote:
X2 I have a HB and 2 homemade bators running the bill did not change but when you turn on 250 watt heat lamps I met a old fellow who uses smaller brooders ( cardboard boxes) and 40-100 watt regular bulbs after I started doing this the bill went back down

x10!!! 250W heat lamps cost a FORTUNE to run 24/7. The electricity used by incubators is negligible in comparison.

Brinsea's Ecoglow is a fabulous product, but only for up to 20 chicks at a time.

And yes, large cardboard boxes are fantastic for brooding smaller numbers of chicks.

Quote:
Just out of interest...what the maximum egg capacity of them all?? Maximum I have had going is three incubators- and two brooders. I had an electrician friend calculate my usage from the incubators and brooders which only accounted for around 5% of total usage. The calculation was based on 2 incubators and 2 brooders though.

They all run at full capacity all the time. There is never really a time that they are not running. I have a buyer that buys pretty much everything I hatch. I'm collecting almost 125 eggs a day so it keeps them full.

Isn't there a dohickey you can plug things into and then plug into the socket to see what the usage is? Might be helpful to determine the biggest culprit
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom