Did I kill my eggs?

Mamalana

Chirping
Mar 17, 2023
Hi y'all.

I am unsure if I killed my eggs trying to save the ones that hatched. This is my first time incubating eggs. I Bought the Natures Right 360, but got ripped off and it never came. I had to buy a still air tractor supply incubator because my fertile eggs arrived and I had nothing to put them in. I had the eggs 1 day before I bought the second incubator.

I had minor temperature issues, my thermometer was running higher than the digital thermometer on the incubator stated. So, I kept trying to get the perfect temp. until I final just went with the one in the incubator out of frustration and a friend had success wiyhbtge same incubator. Well, I had 4 days to go and I was going to take the rotator out when I heard peeping and saw an egg hatching. Out popped a baby white face Spanish chick. The same day a little legbar hatched. They stumbled around the rotator for a while, but their yolk sacs fell through, so they didn't eat them.

The next day another Spanish white face was born and the other two chicks attacked it pretty fiercely. I wasn't prepared for that and was a bit shocked. I left them all there, until the following day another Spanish white face hatched and the first two attacked it so badly that it got its head stuck upside down in the rotator. At this point, I took the first three out, removed the rotator and placed the rest of the eggs on the screen.

The little one with the stuck head had a hurt eye, that since opened and seems OK, as well as a tweeked neck. He seems to mostly just look to one side. The next chick that was born has a herniated navel, it was getting pulled out by the shell, so I held the chick under the heat bulb cut the yolk and pushed the intestines back in and put the wet chick back in the incubator.

After another day, I took the two chicks out and put them in the brooder. They all seem fine, however the eggs that were seeming to be in the beginning of hatching have not progressed. I haven't heard peeps. Four eggs have peck cracks in them. The water in the incubator is stinky from the poop of the other chicks. So I drained the water and refilled it, but its still gross.

We are now at 21 days and I'm not sure if I should just wait or is there more I should be doing. 5 out of 12 have hatched. So, there are still 7 eggs. I'm not sure if I killed them from opening it up so often.

Attachments

• IMG_20230319_131435_930.jpg
    IMG_20230319_131435_930.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20230319_131413_260.jpg
    IMG_20230319_131413_260.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230319_131426_232.jpg
    IMG_20230319_131426_232.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 5
With shipped egg's you need to let them sit so that the air cells can settle anyway's. Your's should be ok. Give them a couple more day's to finish hatching. Sometime the chick is farther along then others in development.

Some breed's don't seem to get along well with others.

With shipped egg's you need to let them sit so that the air cells can settle anyway's. Your's should be ok. Give them a couple more day's to finish hatching. Sometime the chick is farther along then others in development.

Some breed's don't seem to get along well with others.
Thanks so much. The eggs weren't shipped, they were given to be from a friend for my birthday. :)

Do you think I should clean out the incubator?

Thanks so much. The eggs weren't shipped, they were given to be from a friend for my birthday. :)

Wait until you know for sure that no more are going to hatch. Even a mother hen can wait up to 3 day's after that due date before she will leave the nest. So give them that time too. Then clean it out after that, and let it dry good.

Wait until you know for sure that no more are going to hatch. Even a mother hen can wait up to 3 day's after that due date before she will leave the nest. So give them that time too. Then clean it out after that, and let it dry good.

Well, its been 5 days and no progress on the pipping eggs. I think its safe to these eggs died. Its so sad because there was progress, but I must have done something that killed them. 😔😭

5 out of 12. Most likely due to user error. I don't love this incubator. I was really excited for the Nature Right 360 and am so bummed I got ripped off.

Back
Top Bottom