Kindest Way to Treat a Broody Hen

I lifted her out this morning, without too much drama.

She sat motionless on the ground for a few minutes, then got up and went for some food.

She's now joined the others in the garden. She's normally quite placid, so hopefully this method will work for her. I'll keep the coop closed for a couple of hours - I've only got one other hen currently laying and she'll be ready this afternoon; my Polish ladies are still on their Winter break.

I'll prepare to keep repeating and see how it goes. Thanks for all the suggestions, I appreciate the support.

Yes, break a broody asap if you don’t have fertile eggs to put under, don’t want chicks or can’t have a bigger flock.

I never used a cage to break my broodies. But some people need it bc for some hens it seems to be the only solution.

I get the hen off the nest a couple of time each day , take away all eggs, and close the nest in the evening before roosting time. If I am too late to close the nest I put her on the roost after dark. Don't forget to open up the nest box(es) again before you go to sleep.

This works for my chickens. Takes a day or 2 , max 4.

IMHO : Never be the lowest in the pecking order. If you can’t handle you’re chickens you shouldn’t have any. Be firm and do what you need to do.
I think what they mean by lowest in the pecking order is that they do a lot for their chickens and always do what would make their chickens the most happy.

I think what they mean by lowest in the pecking order is that they do a lot for their chickens and always do what would make their chickens the most happy.
Doing things to please a chicken on a short term isn't always in you're chickens best interests.
Compare it with giving sweets to children. They love you for it but they can get bad teeth and develop obesity from candy.

I’m doing anything short term, that’s a ridiculous thing to suggest.

However, they are part of the family, and I treat them as such. They’re not just egg producing machines.

Just take her out the coop a few times a day.
You can always order eggs on ebay for her if you'd like her to hatch something.
Yes, that’s what I did.

In the end, I only had to move her a couple of times on the first day, and once on the second and third days, and she was then back to scratching around with the rest of the gang as usual. No cages required, so all good.

However, they are part of the family, and I treat them as such. They’re not just egg producing machines.
I was reacting on @myawsomepullets. Mine are no egg-laying machines either. But in their own interest, I can be ‘harsh’ because they live In unnatural circumstances in my backyard. I love them. But I don't let them sit on unfertilised eggs because that is unhealthy for the broody (unless I want chicks). I only buy fertilised eggs when I have room for more chickens.

Good thing to give her the right eggs!

I do agree with BDutch. Your chickens should respect you otherwise they'll end up being aggressive or they won't be very easy to handle when you need to help them in an emergency.
I spoil my chickens, they are pets, but they respect me and they know that I am the top of the pecking order. When it's time to go back into the enclosure, I herd them in, it's very easy. Otherwise they will walk all over you (not literally) and not do what you want. Just be careful of that ;)
Good luck with your hen!

Back
Top Bottom