Kindling rabbit help

Lcadle219

Hatching
Jul 21, 2019
Georgia
I have a rabbit that is due any day. I purchased her almost 2 weeks ago and she was 22 days according to the breeder I got her from. I noticed yesterday she had a small amount of blood on her tail end and today she has blood on her side still a small amount. She finally built a nest last night and pulled a lot of hair. I am just concerned about the blood. Is it normal for first time moms to bleed? There are no babies and no signs of babies. I dont believe she has had any yet cause she is still rather large. The vet doesn't want me to disturb her but he did not give any insight on the blood I am concerned about. He said if we mess with her too much she may feel threatened and eat her babies. I am just peeking in a little hole to check on her she does have plenty of hay, pellets, greens, and water. I would love some advice on what to do. This is our first litter of rabbits. I have done a bunch of reading online and in some livestock books I have but nothing had shed any light on the bleeding. I don't want to disturb her but I don't want her to die of complications either. I do feel our vet is rather inexperienced in rabbits but hes the one with the degree not me. I'm just a young farm gal. Please help!

This is a case where there isn't a whole lot you can do and that goes for the vet also.

Leave her alone. It will either be a successful litter or it won’t. If she built a nest and pulled fur that’s good, however many new momma rabbits need a couple of litters to get the hang of parenting.

In all the years I had rabbits I never had one that had trouble kindling. The worst that would happen is that the doe would have the babies on the wire or otherwise not take care of them. When that happened I bred the doe back immediately. If she lost the next litter she got invited to dinner. Mine. Mothering ability is hereditary and I wasn't about to propagate it. There are too many good rabbits out there to put up with poor doers and bad mothers.

Back
Top Bottom