King quail vocalisations?

User395221

Crowing
Jan 3, 2016
My Coop
My Coop
I have 2 male king quail (which the internet tells me are also called chinese painted quail) who live in with my budgerigars in an aviary outside. I haven't had quail before, and I've had them maybe 6 months, something like that (I'm hopeless at time - long enough where they are settled in, not a really long time though.)

I think they were quite young when I got them, their colours are "nicer" now, they look like they've grown up/filled out/whatever.

Previously, they'd "sing" early in the morning, but the rest of the time they'd be pretty quiet. Lately, I can hear them out there vocalising more during the day, not only really early.

I searched about the noises they make and what they might mean and found this video
Around 10 seconds in is how they sound when I can hear them from inside, that high-pitched "cooing" type noise.

Can people with quail experience tell me whether they are ok, and it's normal for them to be singing out like that and that they don't need something from me? They've got a full dinner tray and waterer, they seem really healthy.

Thanks.

Thanks
They sound happy to me!
It's just because they didn't call out so much before - if they had been more vocal when they first arrived I wouldn't have noticed it so much. Also, my guinea pigs yell out when they want their dinner served, I just wanted to be sure that they aren't needing something.

Thanks It's just because they didn't call out so much before - if they had been more vocal when they first arrived I wouldn't have noticed it so much. Also, my guinea pigs yell out when they want their dinner served, I just wanted to be sure that they aren't needing something.
If you have plenty of feed and clean, fresh, cool water and adequate space and clean bedding....what more could they want? Besides to be free of their enclosure.:wee

They could be calling out on the off chance that there's a girl in the vicinity, trying to attract a mate. They'll be happy enough living with each other though - girls would complicate their friendship to say the least!

They'll be happy enough living with each other though - girls would complicate their friendship to say the least!
I was told to just get the 2 boys if I didn't want any breeding. I hope they aren't too deprived by not having a girlfriend and that they are "happy". I can see myself getting them wives and ending up with a million little birds. :D

I was told to just get the 2 boys if I didn't want any breeding. I hope they aren't too deprived by not having a girlfriend and that they are "happy". I can see myself getting them wives and ending up with a million little birds. :D

Yes, they are addictive little things! They'll be perfectly happy together. As long as they have a friend they are content. But you can't blame the boys for trying! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom