King quail

ambient

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 21, 2009
I finally got my first quail yesterday! They are King Quail (Coturnix chinensis) which are a native australian quail. They are really small and very very cute! Much smaller than I expected. I guess they are far too small for eating or egg production. What are your views on bird size: eating/eggs? Is there a "too small" grade?

Thats really up to the one cooking the eggs. When I was little my dad had several coturnix quail, and we ate thier eggs. It just takes alot more of them to get enough for and egg sandwich.
smile.png

Quote:
For anyone who doesnt know King Quail are Button Quail AKA Chinese Painted Quail. They are known as King Quail in australia, AND one cool thing is atleast from what I've read, australias buttons have red eyes predominantly where as we have black eyes in ours predominantly
smile.png

People on here eat their button (king quail) eggs
smile.png
I havent but i've enjoyed my coturnix quails eggs
smile.png

Quote:
For anyone who doesnt know King Quail are Button Quail AKA Chinese Painted Quail. They are known as King Quail in australia, AND one cool thing is atleast from what I've read, australias buttons have red eyes predominantly where as we have black eyes in ours predominantly
smile.png

smile.png
smile.png

Thanks for sharing that. I had no clue.
hu.gif

Quote:
smile.png

smile.png
smile.png

hu.gif

yeah most people dont, buttons AND coturnix go by MANY differnet names depending on which country you go to.
smile.png
coturnix areknown as stubble quail or something like that in another country for example
smile.png

The eggs are fun to pickle at a pot luck I made tiny little diviled eggs.

I think the bird its self is to small to eat but is just me.

I would love to see the colors you have it is always fun to see color mutations from other countries

I did not know that most of yours had red eyes. Different would love to see that

they don't have red eyes.
Oo..glad to hear some people eat the eggs. Now I won't feel guilty if I do. Anyone here eat the birds?
I have a cinnamon hen...she is a pale brown colour--so beautiful. The male has a little balck and white mask..I will post pistures when my camera is working.

Quote:
Cool I didnt say your birds had red eyes, i was saying according to what i've read on many button sites and groups, australia seems to have a lot that have red/pink eyes, and have a hard time finding the black eyed birds...now if this is true or not how could i know for sure
idunno.gif
. ARE there a lot of pink eyed kings over there?

nope never ate my birds too tiny for me to consider it do you?

Cinnamons are pretty common here, im glad you'll post pictures I'd lik eto see if she looks different from ours
smile.png

Quote:
smile.png

smile.png
smile.png

hu.gif

yeah most people dont, buttons AND coturnix go by MANY differnet names depending on which country you go to.
smile.png
coturnix areknown as stubble quail or something like that in another country for example
smile.png

Here in Australia we have native stubble quail and they are a completely different to the coturnix or Japanese quail.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom